We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Turkucard worth it?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Is Turkucard worth it?

My wife and I will be in Turku for 2 nights in August, staying at the Helmi Hotel downtown (parking EUR 13.50/day. We plan to visit the cathedral and the castle, and whatever else seems interesting. We will have a rental car, so is parking available at the cathedral and castle? Is it worth buying a 24 hour Turku card? We live in rural Arkansas, so city buses intimidate me, since I never can figure out how they work--even in the U.S.--although I have been to Germany several times. I got fined big time in Budapest because I couldn't figure out how many bus tickets to buy. If the Turku card is worth buying, then do I scan it when I get on the city bus? Sorry to be such a bumpkin! One of my ancestors was beheaded defending the castle--I think he couldn't figure out the transportation system either. LOL....

Thanks!

Jyvaskyla, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Turkucard worth it?

I guess the question about whether or not the Turku Card is worth it depends on yourself, and how much and what you want to do and see. Did you already look at visitturku.fi/sites/…turkucard_2016.pdf where you can see all the places you can visit with the card? If you travel by bus using a Turku Card, you scan it in the bus (and you can also buy it as a mobile version, and what I read, it gives you a QR code and can be scanned in the buses, too).

If you don't want to get around by rental car and are wondering whether or not buy the Turku Card, then why not consider a travel ticket or a tourist card? :-) I've never used buses in Turku but it appears that the travel ticket sells in buses, costs 7,50€ and is valid for 24 hours, and the tourist seems to be no different except that it can be purchased from certain places and costs 7€. And there's a mobile ticket for the day also available - you show the text from your phone that you receive when you buy a mobile ticket. foli.fi/en/…single-and-travel-tickets

Don't be too afraid to use buses - sure they can be confusing, but it's also a fun way to see the city from a different kind of perspect. :-)

Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Turkucard worth it?

I guess I wasn't aware of the travel and tourist cards. Thank you for your advice!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Turkucard worth it?

+ most people you meet will speak more or less good English so just feel free to ask your way forward. Most sights are within walking distance from your hotel so you may even practise that mode of transportation.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Turkucard worth it?

Hmmm. I could try walking! Good idea. When my daughter lived in Germany, we would kid each other when we asked a local person "is that within walking distance?" Obviously Europeans are more used to walking because an answer like "Oh, yes, it's a short walk" to us lazy Americans meant "That's a short DRIVE and a half-day WALK." LOL! Of course, I'm half-Finn so I could make it around Turku on foot--I'm just trying to be considerate and drag my wife along with me...assuming I want to keep her for awhile longer....

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Turkucard worth it?

The walk from the central market area to the castle is a 3,5 km (2,2 mile) walk along the river. Google maps estimates the walking time to appr 45 mins. I prefer walking as you can focus your attention on the surroundings & buildings in stead of just other cars.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,029 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Turkucard worth it?

There are several old boats moored along the river as floating bars and restaurants. I always find them a handy place for a rest between sights. Cheers!

7. Re: Is Turkucard worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2017, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Turku