We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

California
Level Contributor
273 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

Hi,

I want to take the bus from the airport to my hotel in Reykjavik. I know I can use either Flybus or Grayline. Both sites offer the chance to book a reservation. For flying into KEF, it seems difficult to predict timeliness of your flight and the time needed to clear immigration and collect your bags. Are reservations needed? Or can we arrive and buy tickets at-the-time on-the-ground? With so many tourists I was wondering if the buses get over subscribed?

I'g guess booking a return ticket would make great sense to be sure of getting to the airport on time.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
28 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,841 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

The airport shuttle tickets are always OPEN tickets, since the companies know that planes can be delayed, and people sometimes want to go shopping in the duty free as well. The timing seems to be just for a reference for them.

Grayline is quite cheaper, but they're a little bit further away from the entrance, though no big deal, I think.

If I were you, I'd buy the tickets now and be done with it. One problem less.

That is, provided that you know already how you'll be managing your vacation.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 05:54
California
Level Contributor
273 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

Follow up question - how efficient is it to transfer to the vans for transit to your hotel? Meaning might or should you expect a lengthly wait to board the van after arrival at the bus station from the airport? Or is it all timed pretty well?

Just asking as having used bus from airport to Port Authority station (NYC) and having to wait ages for the shuttle to my hotel (included in the bus ticket akin to the Flybus+). I found it was far more efficient to take the bus to the station and from there jump into a taxi for the short ride to my hotel. Are even short taxi rides seriously costly - I thought I saw that the taxi flag drop is 25 euro?

Thank again.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
273 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

Thank you, Yes-Rvk!

Makes total sense.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

Grayline was maybe 75 steps away from the airport entrance. No big deal, And there were at least 2 other grayline buses lined up behind the on I got on and this was after midnight. If you buy a ticket online you still need to check in at the desk inside the terminal to get the bus ticket. The staffer then let the driver know I was on my way and to wait. Whole process was very efficient.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,841 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

It all timed quite well, like a well-oiled machine, or at least so it was last time I took the shuttles plus drop off near a hotel (nearer my home) :)

California
Level Contributor
273 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

Thank you both! Great Info! Very helpful.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

When i arrived at the bus station with Flybus we left on the smaller vans to my accommodation within 5 minutes --- great service

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,786 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

Airport Express no longer had a desk inside the airport when I was last there in early April. You just walk to the rental shuttle bus stop and check in on the bus.

Transfer to the minivans takes just a few minutes, but know the name of your hotel and listen closely to avoid getting on the wrong bus.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

If I want to take Bus 55 into the city can I just buy the ticket onboard the bus? (I know it doesn’t run weekends, but I’m arriving on a Tuesday morning, so that won’t be an issue for me.)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,841 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?

Yes, you can.

I hope you know the differences of using the intercity bus service into town as compared with the airport shuttles.

Reply to: Going from KEF to Reykjavik - should I reserve the bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted