We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand and ash insurance

Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Sand and ash insurance

Hello all,

I have a rental from Blue Car Rental next week. The sand and ash damage is an extra fee. Wondering if I really need to add this coverage or not. I plan to take many pictures of the car before driving out, note scratches etc. and I will do the walk through when I return it. I will be driving for a few days on the south coast next week. Thoughts on the sand/ash coverage?

15 replies to this topic
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand and ash insurance

Here's an article that may help

https://www.northbound.is/blog/111/do-i-need…

Insurance is for the things that aren't supposed to happen, but can. We decided to purchase it, as we didn't want to have to pay for the vehicle if something did happen...we paid for peace of mind instead.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand and ash insurance

Sand and ash coverage covers damage due to sand whipped by strong winds against the car, resulting in damage or paint being stripped/sandblasted off the exterior surface of the vehicle. There are many open areas along the south coast, especially between Vik and Jökulsárlón, where sand storms are a risk.

Unfortunately weather forecasts, ie wind speeds, are not reliable more than 24 hours ahead of time, so it is impossible to predict whether you will need the coverage. Only you know if you want to take the chance.

Refinishing the surface of the vehicle is quite costly, between 500.000 and 1.500.000 ISK, according to the Blue Car Rental website. Even with the S&A coverage there is usually a significant deductible that is not covered, and which you will be responsible for paying. The website states that their deductible is 90.000 ISK ~ $1100 CAD / $850 US / 730€

We rented our car through Blue Car Rental and opted to purchase the Sand & Ash insurance coverage as well. Driving along the south coast, east of Vik to Jokulsarlon, we could see how easily the wind could whip up the sand and cause significant damage to a vehicle. We were happy that we had the coverage, even though we ended up not being affected.

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
England
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand and ash insurance

Any idea of the approx cost of sand/ash cover? We are also driving along the south coast soon and renting with Avis.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand and ash insurance

Blue Car Rental website: << We offer the SAAP for only 1.500 ISK per day. >>

England
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand and ash insurance

Thank you, I guess Avis will be similar. I haven't been able to find a figure online.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand and ash insurance

I just looked at their website and tried to do a dummy rental but, as you said, there is no mention of additional S&A Coverage. Avis does have a “chat” option; you might want to email them and ask, unless someone else that rented through Avis in Iceland chimes in with an answer.

Edit: Their rates may already include S&A coverage.

Edited: 27 May 2018, 08:15
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
England
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand and ash insurance

Thanks again. I'll try and contact them and find out. We're renting for 10 days so may be quite an expense!

New York
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand and ash insurance

I agree with #1 and #2. There is a price for peace of mind and the S & A cost is a small price to pay.

Edited: 27 May 2018, 09:01
England
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand and ash insurance

I have contacted Avis but in the meantime found this which has prices for various companies as of April 2018

https:/…

Also checking if my excess policy will cover the excess as not part of CDW...

Edited: 27 May 2018, 18:50
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand and ash insurance

If there is one region in Iceland where sand and ash insurance makes sense it is the south coast. Insurance is a personal decision and depends on if you can handle the risk.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reply to: Sand and ash insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted