We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week trip

Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
1 week trip

I am planning to go to Iceland in the mid July for 1 week. We are 2 adults and 2 teens ages 18 and 14 in our group. I am planning to go for self drive tour by renting Jeep or car. Any suggestions?

Where to stay. If air B and B is a good option or hotels? since we'll be driving on our own we can stay any town, not necessarily coming back to same city every night. Is self driving tour a better option?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
5 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week trip

Check the recent post about a short notice trip. There are some suggestions.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 04:19
Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week trip

This time of year, renting a car is the recommended way to go. But start doing some research by reading some of the threads on TA from the last few days and see how difficult and expensive it is going to be to find places (some places near Vik are now $500 plus per night) to stay. You are very late in planning a trip to Iceland for this summer and you are going to even find certain models/makes of cars are to find and expensive,

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Boston...
Level Contributor
20,672 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week trip

Self drive is a great way to see Iceland in summer.

You need to make sure you can find lodging before you make other plans. Most folks plan Iceland trips 7-12 months in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week trip

Thanks for your reply. Let me consider other last minute vacation. I’ll try next summer. Is it worthed to visit in winter? Which season is better to visit?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week trip

It's well worth visiting in winter, but then guided tours would be a much safer choice, since driving in winter can be challenging, even for expert drivers on icy roads in strong winds and reading the weather and road conditions correctly would be a must.

It depends on your plans which season is best. For self-driving, ring road, hiking or camping plans summer would be best. For Northern Lights, winter landscapes or natural ice caves winter would be great.

Reply to: 1 week trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted