We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel money, Whats best?

stranraer
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Travel money, Whats best?

Travelling to Paphos in two weeks and i am unsure if you can cash travellers cheques easily in the banks. I have been offered a Thomas Cook cash card which they say is okay to use. We do alot of travelling around the island, often into the Troodos and mountain villages and i am unsure if the cash card would be of use there.

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

I find travellers' cheques inconvenient. and prefer use a bank card at ATMs. There are , as you will know from your previous visits, plenty in the towns.

When we visit the mountain villages, we use cash.

Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

I live near Kakopetria and I can think of at least 6 ATMs within a few miles, we mountain folk are quite sophisticated with this new-fangled technology.

Seriously ATM's are probably more available than in UK, travellers cheques are not that much used in Cyprus to my knowledge and I would suspect the exchange rate may not be to your advantage.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
stranraer
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

Thank you for the useful information, its me thats not good with the new fangled technology and i was not sure if i could use my card cash in the restaurants and shops away from the tourist areas. I just love buying local gifts and will probably go spending mad as usual. As we never do an all inclusive holiday i like to make sure i have enough cash with me. Looking forward to coming back to Cyprus and will definetly be visiting as many places as possible up in the Troodos as its my favourite place in the whole world.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

The smaller places take cash mainly but some do have credit card facilities so I would make sure I had cash but ATMs are not that rare. We have not suffered the bank and other rural closures of UK (yet), Kakopetria a rather small town / large village has 4 banks, post office, chemist, police station etc.

In Cyprus it seems that both the Cypriot and ex-pat low down (height above sea level) city dwellers think Troodos is full of wild things and hill billies and for the tourists there are safaris up here, so that proves it.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 22:58
Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,787 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

Travellers cheques are slowly but surely being phased out over the next few years, until then there will be less and less places accepting them.

If you are going down the route of taking a debit card to use whilst away, it may be an idea to check with your bank before you travel that your card will be ok to use whilst abroad.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

That is good advice from sunmagic. We had a problem at an ATM in italy, luckily we had our banks 24 hour number with us and it was sorted out fairly quickly but you could do without the inconvenience. The banks do still accept travellers cheques but you don't seem to get as good a rate as you do for sterling in some of the local shops. We usually take a few Euros just to see us through the day of arrival and some sterling which we change in which ever local shop is offering the best rate.

stranraer
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

I well appreciate the information and this has helped me alot. I will look in on Kakopetria as we are hoping to head up the Troodos as far as Agros and this will be as before the true Cyprus , the one i fondly remember since travelling to Cyprus since 1982. Just love the hospitality and scenery of this area.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
810 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

If you are tempted beyond the cash in your pocket use your Debit Card having told your bank you will be in Cyprus. This applies in any of the mountain villages as well as the coastal areas. I lived in a village without ATM or Bank but all the tavernas are equipped to take Debit or Credit Cards. The banks actually give a slightly higher rate for Travellers Cheques but then you get charged Commission which brings it down.

We did a tour from Limassol to Agros and then Panayia tou Araka followed by Kakopetria, Lania and back down to Limassol at Easter. It was beautiful my friends enjoyed the Rose Factory at Agros, but I enjoyed the shop where they still smoke the hams and sell local produce.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Limassol
Limassol
Limassol District, Cyprus
stranraer
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

Re Cypriotpal, cheers for the tour route you took to Kakopetria, we will follow that, got my maps looked out. This forum realy restores my faith in huiman beings as everybody has been so helpful,.

10. Re: Travel money, Whats best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 04:16