We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

toronto
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

We are travelling to Austria in July with 6 & 8 yrs old and their grandma for 10 day summer vacation, planning to spend time in Vienna, Halstat, and Salzburg and we are still trying to figure out where to go in remaining days, maybe Lake Bled, somewhere close by in Italy .. or to go to Innsbruck. we are thinking that Innsbruck wouldnt offer much change in the scenery compared to what we will see in Salzburg and its vicinity, is that really the case? if there is a nearby town in Italy to visit for few days maybe that would better complement our 10 days vacation compared to visiting Innsbruck. would appreciate opinion on that

9 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

why not go to cesky krumlov in the cr? or maybe even munich?

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

Innsbruck has the more spectacular and higher mountains.

toronto
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

We are travelling with 8 and6 yrs old kids and their grandma. So need to take them to nice places that are not too hectic. I'm sure Innsbruck is amazing but wouldn't it have the same e general feel of salzburg compared to going somewhere completely different

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

The trip up the cable car is spectacular and the views simply amazing. Innsbruck has a completely different feel to Salzburg but worth visiting.

Innsbruck, Austria
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

For a proper mountain experience, the Innsbruck area definitely has something else to offer than Salzburg and Hallstatt. And they do a lot to keep children entertained in the mountains. Examples close to Innsbruck include the Muttereralm, which has a lovely adventure park for kids as well as mountain carts (also included in the Innsbruck Card) as well as the Alpine coaster at Serlsebahnen in Mieders in the Stubai Valley. Before you take the coaster down, there is a lovely water play area for kids to enjoy first. On a rainy day, you could explore Swarovski Crystal Worlds with its new play tower for children.

Hope this helps you to make a decision.

Best,

Linda

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

Don't go to Innsbruck, but one of the hundreds Tyrolean mountain villages, for a truly different experience.

Only people from overseas consider Innsbruck a holiday destination.

Continental Europeans don't, they go for the unique Tyrolean countryside.

Edited: 15 May 2017, 19:10
toronto
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

Not sure that adventure parks with mountain carts would workout for us , the kids are 6 and 8 and my mom is 75 yrs old. I need to find a place with enough airbnb options to choose from now that im booking late, it can be country side

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

i think that your kids would love adventure parks and also mountain gondolas or cable cars ! and lots of elderly people (including myself) love going up in cable cars !

you have a wide age difference so it is going to be difficult to suit everybody.

hallstatt wont be that interesting for the kids, and i presume that you are not actually staying there? you could well spend all your time in austria as there is so much to do, but like others, i wouldnt suggest innsbruck as it is of limited interest. that is unless you wanted to go to the stubaital where you should find some snow on the glacier.

as regards airbnb, there are problems with the use of these and they can be risky. why not go for a proper apartment instead?

if you are going to vienna to spend a few days there, you should then go not to salzburg, but to one of the villages on the wolfgangsee where both ages will be well catered for. from there, you can visit both salzburg and hallstatt on day outings as they are easily accessible.

nobody here can decide for you and you have been given suggestions. it is up to YOU to decide on where you want to visit.

Michigan
Level Contributor
203 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile

We enjoyed Innsbruck very much. They also have the Alpenzoo which would be fitting for all of you.

Reply to: After Salzburg &Halstat would Innsbruck trip be worthwhile
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Innsbruck