We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-hr Layover: Old Town or Seegrube or both?

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4-hr Layover: Old Town or Seegrube or both?

Hi there,

I'll be travelling from Salzburg to Mittenwald on a Saturday at the end of June and will have a 4-hr layover at Innsbruck train station. I'd like to know if this is enough time to go up to Seegrube to check out the view and also stroll around the Old Town.

My plan is as follows: Store luggage in the lockers at the station and take a taxi to the Nordkettebahn bottom station (congress talstation) and go up to Seegrube to check out the view and may be have a beer. Upon returning back down, take a taxi to the Old Town and stroll on Maria-Theresien-Strasse for an hour before returning back to the train station to collect luggage and board the train to Mittenwald.

Does this sound doable or would I be rushing too much? Also, can I expect queues to go up to Seegrube on a Saturday morning in late June ( at around 11 am or so)?

Cheers!

4 replies to this topic
1. Re: 4-hr Layover: Old Town or Seegrube or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2017, 18:35

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-hr Layover: Old Town or Seegrube or both?

Thank you so much Linda! This is just the kind of info I was looking for. I think I will leave Seegrube for another time and concentrate only on the Old Town. I will also reduce my layover time to 2 hours, since you mention on your blog that 1 hour is enough to walk around the Old Town.

Cheers!

Edited: 16 May 2017, 15:20
Vadodara, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-hr Layover: Old Town or Seegrube or both?

I think you are sorted but the best place in Innsbruck is Hafelekar (one station above Seegrube in cable car) and the whole trip (Innsbruck-Hundenburg-Seegrube-Hafelekar) is very much doable in maximum 2-3 hours. Old town is nice but doesn't compare to Hafelekar. My suggestion would be to reconsider and go up to the mountains if the weather is suitable.

Edited: 16 May 2017, 17:58
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-hr Layover: Old Town or Seegrube or both?

Considering the limited time you have in Innsbruck I would not go up to Nordkette and thus stay in the center of Innsbruck. When in the Mittenwald area you will be able to "enjoy" mountains a lot.

Reply to: 4-hr Layover: Old Town or Seegrube or both?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Innsbruck