We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Hello All - I need to get from Zurich to Lienz. I fly into Zurich at 1820 on a Thursday and have to be in Lienz by around 1700 the following day. It seems like most of the routes go through Innsbruck, so I thought this would be a good forum to raise my issue. I have a few questions:

1) Wondering if I should stay the night in Zurich and leave the next morning for the most scenic ride or start the journey that night directly following my flight into Zurich. I know this is a Innsbruck forum but perhaps someone has had this plight before in getting from Zurich to Innsbruck and can give me some advice.

2) What route should I take? Bus/Train? Which roads? I need to balance getting there by 5pm but also want to maximize the scenic view. I also get motion sick easily so I think I prefer a train unless there's a particularly special bus route I should take. I wish OBB gave you a little map of the actual route you would be taking bc I am having a hard time understanding exactly what routes the proposed trips are taking. Let me know if you even have a specific set of changes in mind.

Thanks for your insight!

-Cassie

3 replies to this topic
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

You can book Zurich to Lienz by trains from €29 at www.oebb.at Austrian Railways and print your own ticket.

This takes you on a Zurich-Innsbruck Railjet train which goes through the fabulous Arlberg Pass.

Given you want daylight AND you might have a flight delay, a night in Zurich and a morning Railjet seem worth considering.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Zurich is great for an evening stroll.

Zurich-Lienz is 100% scenic no matter which way you'll go.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Why do you ask the same question again?

Reply to: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Innsbruck