We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Hello All - I need to get from Zurich to Lienz. I fly into Zurich at 1820 on a Thursday and have to be in Lienz by around 1700 the following day. It seems like most of the routes go through Innsbruck, so I thought this would be a good forum to raise my issue. I have a few questions:

1) Wondering if I should stay the night in Zurich and leave the next morning for the most scenic ride or start the journey that night directly following my flight into Zurich. I know this is a Innsbruck forum but perhaps someone has had this plight before in getting from Zurich to Innsbruck and can give me some advice.

2) What route should I take? Bus/Train? Which roads? I need to balance getting there by 5pm but also want to maximize the scenic view. I also get motion sick easily so I think I prefer a train unless there's a particularly special bus route I should take. I wish OBB gave you a little map of the actual route you would be taking bc I am having a hard time understanding exactly what routes the proposed trips are taking. Let me know if you even have a specific set of changes in mind.

Thanks for your insight!

-Cassie

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Lienz
Lienz
Tirol, Austria
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

You can book Zurich to Lienz by trains from €29 at www.oebb.at Austrian Railways and print your own ticket.

This takes you on a Zurich-Innsbruck Railjet train which goes through the fabulous Arlberg Pass.

Given you want daylight AND you might have a flight delay, a night in Zurich and a morning Railjet seem worth considering.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Lienz
Lienz
Tirol, Austria
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Zurich is great for an evening stroll.

Zurich-Lienz is 100% scenic no matter which way you'll go.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Lienz
Lienz
Tirol, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

Why do you ask the same question again?

4. Re: Scenic Train/Bus Route from Zurich - Innsbruck - Lienz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2018, 12:17
;