We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

Hello, I would like to spend roughly a week (can be extended) in the Tirol going for scenic walks at some time this summer. Possible dates are 30 June to 8 July or 22-30 July.

I would like some basic pointers so I can then do my own research.

I am flying from London. Is it best to fly to Innsbruck and base myself there and go on daily trips?

Or would it be possible to, say, work my way from Innsbruck to Salzburg (part trekking, part by train?). Then fly home from there (I have visited Salzburg before).

I am a good walker who can walk for 8 hours a day. I love spectacular scenery, mountains, but in general just being in the open air (countryside). I loved the Tirol when I travelled through it by train from Venice to Munich several years ago.

Can anyone suggest a basic plan/route for me as a skeleton to which I can then add "meat"?

Danke!

14 replies to this topic
Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
305 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

I think basing yourself in Innsbruck is a good idea. There are many wonderful walks from there and from nearby villages reachable by local bus. You can also take day trips by train-to Seefeld (30 minutes) and to Achensee where you can walk around the lake half-way and then take the boat back. This is from the Village of Pertisau if you have a map. You can take the train to Jenbach and then a bus or a steam train from there. Achensee is ringed by mountains and has a mirror-like surface. You can also take public transportation to the Stubai glacier. And I could go on and on. Hall in Tirol is reachable by bus in a short period of time and is also quite beautiful.

Salzburg of course is very beautiful but to me it is not the Tirol and the Tirol is very special and if you have a week I would take the time to explore it.

As readers of this site know, for walkers I always recommend staying outside Innsbruck up in the mountains. The village of Igls is in the mountains above Innsbruck and the "J" bus goes there in 15 -2- minutes and goes every 10-12 minutes, until late at night. The trip up the mountain is dramatic. Patsch is another very scenic village but is on the Post bus which runs less frequently. Both buses will take you fairly close to the train station for day trips. I mention these villages because there are gorgeous paths right outside your door. You could walk everyday without taking a bus or a train and on some days it is nice to be able to do this. I would recommend an apartment hotel there so you can pack your lunch and go. The tourist office in Igls can give you maps and suggestions for walks. There is also a cable car from Igls up to the top of Patscherkofel and you can walk down, which I have done numerous times. About three-quarters of the way down (or a quarter up) there is a nice little restaurant with an outdoor seating area overlooking Innsbruck and the mountains called Heiligwasser.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,130 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

have you a specific reason to restrict yourself to the state of tirol? it is just one state of austria and the beauty of austria is not restricted to that state. salzburg state is every bit as good and in places even more so.

if you have been to salzburg before, have you hiked around the salzkammergut? considered to be the most scenic area of austria. there is a grand tour hike of the area , somewhere like 300 kms with plenty of breaks in villages and mountain huts

Innsbruck, Austria
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

I'm going to give you the names of specific hikes near Innsbruck which we have done ourselves and which I think are the kind of hikes you are looking for. You can either do them as day hikes from Innsbruck or you can even stay over in a mountain hut if you want to do a 2-day hike.

Closest to Innsbruck and maybe a nice easy one to start with: The Zirbenweg Trail from Patscherkofel to Glungezer. About 8 km above the Inn Valley.

Then the Wilde Wasser Trail to the Sulzenauhütte in the Stubai Valley. Incredibly beautiful. You can also sleep in the hut.

Now to the end of the Ziller Valley where the hikes to the Olpererhütte or the Pfitscherjochhütte from the Schlegeisstausee are something different again. You can sleep in both huts or just do day hikes.

Then there's the area around the Achensee which is filled with beautiful day hikes. We've done the easier one close to the shore from Pertisau to Achenkirch via the Gaisalm.

The best thing about these hikes are the mountain huts where you can get a nice cold beer after your hike!

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

The Zillertal is worth considering. The walks from Schlegeiss - suggested by Llinda above - are easy: c 1.5 or 2 hours each way . Both can be extended easily to cover more huts and take about 6 hours. The Zillertal will give you 4 valleys to explore, all with excellent lifts and bus transport (buy the Activ-card, c 70 euros for the week, will save a fortune). Always my first choice - never fails to be wonderful.

Another option might be the Saalbach-Hinterglemm area: (but avoid staying in Zell am See - tawdry). Do make sure your hotel offers the Joker card, which will give you, amongst other things, unlimited access to the lifts and local buses for free.

IF you're not totally stuck on the Tirol (though I think it's a fabulous choice) , the Arlberg area (Lech/St Anton) might have something to offer.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
225 reviews
5. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

The Ziller valley is our favourite hiking area, and we've been all over the Austrian alps.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
6. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

Thanks for all the replies so far. I have not had time to properly digest them yet, but will surely answer with further questions. I find the Tirol very special, it is the soaring and sometimes bizarre forms of the mountains. I find it different to other mountainous areas, such as Switzerland and Bavaria. I find it hard to explain, but the thoughts seem to soar like the mountains! Of course, I have no prejudice against other parts of Austria and do indeed love the area around Salzburg, for example. Thank you again for such great input and food for thought!

One question I do have for now: as it is relatively expensive to fly to Innsbruck itself, would it make sense to fly to/from Munich and/or Salzburg and then take the train to Innsbruck? And get a nice scenic train journey to boot?

Edited: 17 March 2018, 05:40
Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

Why not forget Innsbruck, or just visit for a day? Stay somewhere like Mayrhofen, right in the heart of the Zillertal. You can fly into Munich, train to Jenbach and the local train to Mayrhofen.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

You might also consider a tour of the Zillertal, staying ovenight in mountain huts and carrying all you need. There's one which takes a minumum of 7 nights, , which will take you to glaciers and high mountains. You'd need a head for heights, and good boots!

See 'Trekking in the Zillertal Alps' by Allan Hartley, Cicerone Press. Available on Amazon. Describes the route very well. Also possible to do just part of it.

lots of clips on Youtube of various sections / huts etc.

Innsbruck, Austria
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

It does make sense. The fast route via the Inn Valley from Munich Airport to Innsbruck takes just over 2 hours. Then there is also a scenic route via Garmish Partenkirchen and Seefeld which takes over 3 hours. From Salzburg main station to Innsbruck is just under 2 hours.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
10. Re: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!

I have a fresh question.

Are there good daily hikes from Mayrhofen? Or perhaps a good three-day hike (finishing back in Mayrhofen)?

I will probably only have about three full days in Mayrhofen.

Reply to: Advice needed for a Tirol newbee!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Innsbruck