We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten southbound excursions

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hurtigruten southbound excursions

I am doing this voyage in June 2014 and while I am keen to do many of the excursions (which I need to pre-book) I am concerned that I may be sorry to have so much time off the ship. For example, I am very keen to see the Lofoten group of islands and am planning to do 9A 'Taste of Vesteralen' excursion (Harstad to Sortland). This lasts for 4 and a quarter hours(0815 to 1245) and it occurs to me that I would be missing 4 hours of potentially beautiful scenery from the ship!! It would be great to speak to someone who has done this tour (was it worth it?), and someone who stayed on the ship, so that I can make an informed decision.

Likewise, the excursion later on the same day - 9B 'Lofoten Islands' which runs for 3 hours (1850 to 2150).....Potentially I could find myself missing Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner which is mega costly!

A similar dilemma presents on the following day with tour 10B 'UNESCO Islands Vega' (Sandnessjoen - Bronnoysund) 4 hours from 12.45 to 16.50. I have no idea what parts of the voyage I would miss by going on this excursion. Also, does anyone know what sort of a boat is used for this excusion, and how is it accessed.

Hoping that someone who has been there and done this could let me know their thoughts.

7 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigruten southbound excursions

To get the best of both worlds it is imo necessary to get off the ship now and then. I would very much recommend the Harstad-Sortland bit as the scenery from the boat on this stretch is so-so. You will have to get up early and have breakfast before you leave (standard procedure). You will be right back for lunch with a brief stop on Sortland bridge to watch your ship enter into port. There is also the possibility to have a coffee and a snack on the Gullesfjord ferry. The best scenery comes after Sortland where you pass through the narrow Raftsundet and enter into the Trollfjord.

As for Lofoten, I think that is something new this year, but if you do not do the excursion you will only have two brief stops in Svolvær and Stamsund. I should think they would arrange for a delayed dinner for you when you return.

Cannot comment on the Vega Islands as I have never been and it is also I think something new on the excursion map. What I can say is that the Helgeland coastal scenery is very good from the ship.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 15:51
Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigruten southbound excursions

Thankyou so much. That is a great help to me, especially having an opinion from a local resident. Thanks for taking the time.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigruten southbound excursions

If Hurtigruten offer a stop at http://www.lofotr.no on the bus ride from Svolvær to Stamsund, then you should do this one. It`s also a nice sceneario from the bus on this tour also, so...

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigruten southbound excursions

Thankyou. It is sounding good.

5. Re: Hurtigruten southbound excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 17:35

6. Re: Hurtigruten southbound excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 05:35

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurtigruten southbound excursions

Thankyou. I have seen your post on another site. I felt such sympathy for you both that your holiday was so badly spoilt. We intend being very aware of security, as far as it is possible.

Reply to: Hurtigruten southbound excursions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted