We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

my husband and i will be in wales in late july 2007 - and wish to rent a small cottage for one week (or 10 days) within walking distance of Hay. there are numerous choices, but difficult to 'know' what's nice, clean and fun for reading, cooking, relishing the countryside. ..rustic is fine, and so are reasonable rates.

a view would be lovely, but not essential. we will be walking and biking,(we need to rent bikes) , no car.

any first hand accounts, recommendations, do's and don'ts ??!

thankyou!

mary

UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

I cant help with all of your qus but heres a start- hopefully others will add info. Hay is lovely - its one of my favourite villages and I visit often living quite close by. If you like reading then you will love Hay - its famous for its book shops and has a literature/arts festival end of May. Has great local ice - cream - Shepherds- yumm . Relishing the countryside will be no problem wherever you stay in this area- its very rural -Hay really is a village rather than a town.The Black Mountains/ Brecon Beacons with their walking/bridle paths are close and the views are stunning. It is a very hilly / mountainous area but easier walking along the river Wye. Lots of outdoor activities close by - horse riding, canoeing, fishing .

I dont know of any cycle hire in Hay itself although there are some places that hire cycles withina 20 mile radius. I will try to find out more . Are you really against/ unable to hire a car? Although not impossible to get around , I think it would be easier to travel around by car. If you narrow your short list on cottages and re-post I can maybe give you more info - ie how far froom the centre of Hay, views etc.

Regards

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

thankyou 'Buzze'- for your prompt reply! and your wonderfully intriguing description of the hayonwye area!

re bike rentals - i suppose that we can take a bus to a village that would have rentals available. ? we are able to bike 20 miles back, but are the rural roads conducive to bike riding?

re cottage rental, we would prefer some privacy outside of Hay, but within 3 miles. we also have fond memories of the Rhydspence Inn from our last trip to Wales almost 20 years ago - is it still special?

thanks again!

mx

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

Can only help you with the Rhydspence Inn, just to confirm that it is still very good. We have lunch there each time we visit Hay, and have never been disappointed.

Good luck with your search for accommodation.

Trish

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

MXPLORER - I have just found a website which may help with your accommodation search . Have a look at www.hay-on-wye.co.uk.

Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
5. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

You can hire bicycles from Paddles and Pedals www.paddlesandpedals.co.uk

Self catering cottages can be found at www.hay-on-wye.co.uk also at www.breconcotages.com

UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

mendip

Are you certain that you can hire cycles from paddles and peddles ?

I know that they do cycle repairs and parts but did not know that they do cycle hire.

Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
7. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

Of course you are correct!!! They do not hire bicycles.Sorry for the duff info.

The only cycle hire place in Hay closed about 5 years ago.

However Bikes and Hikes in Brecon will deliver hire bikes to Hay on Wye,( I checked with them this morning!!!) www.bikesandhikes.co.uk

Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
8. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

Of course you are correct!!! They do not hire bicycles.Sorry for the duff info.

The only cycle hire place in Hay closed about 5 years ago.

However Bikes and Hikes in Brecon will deliver hire bikes to Hay on Wye,( I checked with them this morning!!!) www.bikesandhikes.co.uk

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

THANKS so much for all your help and recommendations for our summer visit to hay on wye - including the tips on the bikes.

this forum really works!

do you have special places you enjoy dinner?

p.s.

we found a cottage !

Michigan
1 post
10. Re: Hay on Wye - cottage rentals for the week

Sounds like a great trip! Can I go along?

bodacious!

Get answers to your questions about Hay-on-Wye