We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea glass on Durham coast

S G
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
328 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Sea glass on Durham coast

My partner and I are getting married in Newcastle in a few weeks and then spending the night at Lumley Castle (can't wait!). We're only having a very small ceremony in the morning, then spending the rest of our wedding day and the following day doing a bit of chilled sightseeing (we don't live in Co Durham, but we know it fairly well as I lived here as a child). One of the things we'd like to do is head out to the coast, my usual favourite is by Marsden Rock as I went there a lot as a child, but I also have an idea that I'd like to collect some sea glass and then make it into jewellery when I get home, as a memento of our wedding weekend. I haven't been to Marsden for years and I can't remember whether there tends to be much sea glass washed up there. We'll definitely call at Marsden anyway, but would we be better heading to somewhere around Seaham as well? I know there's a lot of sea glass around there, but I'm not sure if it makes it further north. Thanks in advance for your advice.

6 replies to this topic
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea glass on Durham coast

I know people where collecting sea glass from Seaham beach when I visited there last year?

crafternoontreats.com/what-is-sea-glass/

To help confused readers of this post

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
1,342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea glass on Durham coast

An excellent link Tarry......i had never heard of Seaglass!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea glass on Durham coast

I had only heard of it because of visiting Seaham beach and been told about it but someone collecting it...you really do live and learn.

I also found some sea glass and picked it up as I was there....some bits are quite beautiful.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,164 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea glass on Durham coast

In the old days you collected sea coal from the Durham coast

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea glass on Durham coast

hi,

You can pick up glass on the main beach in Seaham, if you can manage a steep slope go to Blast beach a couple of miles south of the main beach.

Lovely idea!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea glass on Durham coast

Not seen much sea glass at Marsden for a long time, but if you hunt hard you will still find some. Indeed you can get some great pieces. Dont know if you have been back since the rock broke up or not but still worth a viist and of course maybe have a drink in the Marsden Rock.

Littlehaven beach used to have quite a bit (at the mouth of the Tyne) as there was a glass works in Shields a long time ago.

Enjoy your day and congratulations!

Alan you can still get coal in some places!.

Reply to: Sea glass on Durham coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations