We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Beach recommendations

England
11 posts
Save Topic
Sandy Beach recommendations

Hi

We will be based near Darlington for a week and are planning to visit Bowes, Beamish, Durham Cathedral and Castle, National Railway Museum and the waterfall. We did think about visiting Hadrian's Wall but not sure where best to see it.

We would also like to visit at least one sandy beach whilst we are there. Which beach would you recommend for sandcastles?

Any other tips would also be welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy Beach recommendations

If you are going as far as Hadrian's wall, Bamburgh has a beautiful sandy beach up there.

If you want somewhere closer, Seaton Carew is sandy and has the full works of chip shops and amusement arcades.

Seaham is a nice town and the beach there is famous for coloured sea glass.

If you want somewhere where there will be few other people, try Castle Eden Dene. I haven't been there for years and years, but I remember a beach like the surface of the moon. Orange (iron ore) rocks and all. It's a beautiful walk down through a valley of trees.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy Beach recommendations

With Darlington as a base I suggest Saltburn by the Sea for a sandy beach.

For Hadrian’s Wall best is Steel Rigg car park up near Once Brewed.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy Beach recommendations

I like Seaton Carew.

Was wandering about Bamburgh last December 2016 and two young lads undressed and ran into the North Sea -they where either brave or crazy.

It was a good beach though.

Level Contributor
1,743 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy Beach recommendations

Hadrian wall is a long way from Bamburgh ! So please take the other suggestions .

Hunwick
Level Contributor
20 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy Beach recommendations

If you are visiting Hadrian's Wall I would suggest Housteads as the best part to visit as it has a museum/visitor centre and excavated remains of a roman fort but you would not want to spend all day there so you could pop along to Tynemouth in the afternoon. Tyne mouth is quite pleasant with a ruined priory, gun emplacements, sea life centre, nice park, plenty of food options and a sandy beach.

Housteads is a good hour and a quarter away from Darlington though so it would mean a fair amount of driving but do-able.

It might be worth me talking about an easier option. Hadrians wall actually ends at Wallsend and although you would not be in the picturesque countryside like housesteads their is a good museum and visitor centre called Segednum Roman Fort. To make a different day out you could get a train from Darlington to Newcastle and use the Metro rail system from there to Wallsend, spend some time at Segednum and then hop back on the Metro to Tynemouth for lunch and sandcastles and then back to Newcastle which is very much worth a walk around, grey street has been talked of as England's most handsome street an I really like walking around the Grainger Market.

Just a suggestion

Reply to: Sandy Beach recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Durham
Recent Conversations