We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

Norfolk
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

This is not a question but an observation on something that should be addressed to make a lovely town even better. We wondered if local people saw this as a problem.

We have just spent a great week in Ilfracombe. The town is obviously trying hard to improve and deserves to do well. But there was one thing that we noticed which we found surprising which was the amount of dog poo on the roads and pavements. We had to look so much at where we were walking which detracted from the lovely scenery that Ilfracombe has to offer. There has been such an improvement generally in towns and villages regarding this problem we were sad to see that this has not been properly addressed in this town. We like dogs and know its not their fault but the fault of some irresponsible owners. This is something small that could be addressed that would make a big difference to a lovely town.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,958 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

I go to Ilfracombe regularly, I walk the coast path which is a place you see dog walkers and use beaches frequented by dog walkers and have never found this to be so.

In fact I haven't come across any mess that you mention. It is a very clean little town. It seems that you have been very unfortunate.

I wonder if it was perhaps temporary visitors, it only takes one or two, that created this problem.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

Hi

Yes you are right it does only take one or two. It wasn't on the coastal paths or on the beach it was on the pavements. It isn't normally something we would consider or bother about so to notice it shows that there was a problem. I would imagine it was visitors, but who knows, just an observation that could be remedied by some responsibility.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

Failure to clear up after your dog under the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005 can get you a fixed penalty notice. But believe it or not: noisy drunks and rowdy revellers on holiday cause more problems for Ilfracombe locals and holidaymakers. This was illustrated with recent crime in front of the Admiral Collingwood, and North Devon villages have to put up with drunks, fights and shouting, in the early hours. Drinking and late pubs cause more problems than dogs.

lfracombe isn't a dirty town, you'll be pleased to hear, they even have a spring-clean (http://www.oneilfracombe.org.uk/ilfracombe-spring-clean-2015/ ). I shouldn't worry, on our visit we saw none and as I recall none on the streets though that's not to say it doesn't happen. But yes, for instance people take their dogs to the churchyards and allow them to soil the graves and grass. Many won't pick it up. I've seen dog mess on the streets in villages local to Ilfracombe - they do love their dogs and have two or three sometimes. Of course they get visitors with dogs (naturally) during the summer; they use public transport and the seafront, but the region rightfully bans dogs on the beach in the summer months. I didn't see problems in August 2015 but, again, that doesn't mean it never happens.

Lazy dog owners should be warned: the 'One Ilfracombe' volunteers have an annual spring-clean and a crackdown on dog-fouling. This year it ran throughout April, so they're trying. I'm biased: the High St is a bit scruffy and unsafe for women sometimes, but Ilfracombe is one of the best places to go on holiday, especially with North Devon Tourism, beaches, and theatres. I'm told Ilfracombe will be improved and I'm sure locals will keep on top of the dog mess. I think in comparison with some UK towns they're saints down there in Ilfracombe.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

Thank you for your extensive reply, it seems that we were just unlucky or going to places that were popular with dogs, we christened one area Pooh Corner. Ilfracombe is a lovely place and we will come back often and I can see that most people are proud of their town. There is a lot of scaffolding around and development which is always a good sign that an area is on the up.I was just interested to know if we were unlucky, which it appears we were, or whether this was a recognised problem with in the town. And yes we had an awful lot of rowdy people going past where we were staying, but that is another story.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,958 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

"crime in front of the Admiral Collingwood" wasn't a crime. And the fact it was reported shows how seldom something like this occours. Some guy got himself in a state and collapsed. Ironical when you think that the original Admiral Collingwood had some involvement with the Temperance Society :-)

"we had an awful lot of rowdy people going past where we were staying" it is an unfortunate fact that some visitors have the UK culture and feel that getting drunk is a way to enjoy yourself and in the West Country just like other mainly coastal areas around the country get groups visiting with just this in mind. I've never come across this during the day in Ilfracombe and if it helps when you come again just ask for somewhere quiet but convenient in the area. It's usually only in town on the main street of any town.

I'm pleased to see the scaffolding as Ilfracombe was hit particularly badly with the Credit Crunch being a family holiday town. Speaking to a trader locally they said that it had really only had it's worst effect more recently but that things were improving rapidly and I think you could see that from the lovely harbour and coastal area.

I hope either of you took a trip to Lundy from Ilfracombe. The newly restored and historic MV Balmoral is doing the trip as well as the local Oldenberg or helicopter. No dogs on Lundy ;-)

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

Hi, and thanks @Suebovington. I was referring to a woman in her early 20’s walking with a stick past the Admiral Collingwood. As Ilfracombe Police will confirm: two young women subjected her to verbal abuse about her disability between 11.20pm and 11.30pm on a Saturday night in August this year. She was pushed to the ground and one of the women threw her stick into the road. "She wasn't seriously harmed but she was bruised". Don't know if it was the same incident but Police taped off a scene outside Wetherspoons on the Wilder Rd approach to James Square for a while (outside, so Wetherspoons was not involved) one morning this summer.

As for rowdy drinkers: I've rarely seen this during the day in Ilfracombe; Combe Martin however, has at least one late opening Pub that launches drunks and rowdy groups on to its High St., between the hours of 1AM and 3AM in the worst cases. I know this because it's always been a major sore point there, but in the past there has been no other trouble nor much crime. Ilfracombe's Street Pastors do a great job, and I hope plans to report and quieten drunks in nearby villages will also come to fruition. More Police would be nice :/

Generally, Ilfracombe and the local villages are quiet and law abiding; just one or two locals and a few visitors can't or won't respect the peace or other people sometimes. So it's no worse than any other resort or town. Ilfracombe may change dramatically when the new housing development is completed, hopefully for the better, but the area really is an employment black spot.

Edited: 21 September 2015, 07:21
Woolacombe, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

What a cheek and how ironic, visitors criticising dog fouling. Another annoying habit is pushing in on bus queues with huge rucksacks or prams. Never really thought I'd say this but I believe Combe locals are very responsible and patient, funny how piles of poo around Jubilee and Runnymede Gardens have appeared during the busy tourist season. When they've all gone home there won't be much dog mess in the Combe. Councils have run the town in to the ground but it's still clean - the Prom and front areas especially.

Bad enough having of dogs on the buses, beaches and everywhere else, fighting and yapping around kids. If you're going to visit Ilfracombe then please take your dog mess home with you. Thankyou.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

All of us love dogs and why not? Dogs don't foul Ilfracombe streets any more, the owners are more often the problem. But dogs do stink when they're wet, not nice when you're eating, and they foul our churchyards and graves.

There are far too many here, at times. We're at the start of the new season and Ilfracombe is already coming alive. The Devon weather has been lovely in early April 2017 - so long may that continue; Ilfracombe has been packed, or at least Wetherspoons has (no dogs allowed there).

The Combe seems to have got rid of its chav, thieving and chaotic itinerant population and their pitbull hounds, but dogs have never been the Ilfracombe problem for those really in the know. Owners let grockle dogs and local dogs yap and fight around small children, also around the beach.

And dogs roam free in North Devon Churchyards; Ilfracombe Holy Trinity Church has become the local dog park. Local councils and owners please get a grip.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,958 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ilfracombe, improving but needs responsible dog owners

Pamela, this thread is old but you seem to like the area still after moving away for work and must visit a lot it would seem from your knowledge of what currently happens there.

Do you realise what you make visitors think of these towns with your words 'dogs do stink - they foul our churchyards and graves. - chav, thieving and chaotic itinerant population and their pitbull hounds'?

People will take you totally at your word that this is what the two small towns are like and this is a forum about travelling and holidays.

Your reference to 'grockle' while a local term it is a derogatory one to holiday makers who use this site to plan their holidays.

As I've said before, I visit both places frequently. I sit on the beaches, look around the churches, used to visit the theater when it was open and drink and eat there. I have so far not encountered any of the problems you mention but have found the people, local and visitors alike, friendly, helpful and enthusiastic about their towns.

It would be more helpful tackle it through more useful local sites or direct with the local council with your findings and where someone can do something about it if you find it sufficient problem that it troubles you.

Get answers to your questions about Ilfracombe