We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Lunch - 2016

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Lunch - 2016

Hubby and I are renting a cottage in Hele for a few days over Christmas this year, and were wondering if anyone could advise if there were any restaurants/pubs in Hele or Ilfracombe which will be open on Christmas Day for lunch/dinner.

We've already tried The Hele Bay, nut unfortunately they are not doing food on the day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alison & Mark

8 replies to this topic
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

Ilfracombe - This is a 2yr old review but sounds wonderful and the place has almost all 5* reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReview…

It's small though so may already be booked up

There are a few but then there is the drink and drive which may dull Christmas Day. I wonder if there is somehwhere that might deliver a Christmas dinner to your cottage. Go out for a Christmassy drink at the pub.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

Thanks Toopaz - we've already tried Relish Bistro and unfortunately they are not opening on Christmas Day this year..,

Back to the drawing board - but it's not the end of the world as we will bring our own food to cook if we can't find anywhere - we just thought it'd be a nice change as we've never done it before!

Cheers

Alison

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

Shame, it looked like a really nice place and something a little different.

If I hear of anything I'll pass it on. Blanket emailing may be the answer

Hele a lovely place to spend the season if you want peace and beautiful scenery. I've had chicken sandwiches and wine on a harbour around here on Christmas day because it was lovely warm sunshine in the middle of winter. Who knows, it may happen again.

Ilfracombe, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

Hele Billy's

Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

Great for scenery but not great for food in North Devon, some say. If driving, try Barnstaple & the Barnstaple Hotel? Local Taxis are v. expensive in those parts. We usually drive out, and heard Woolacombe Bay Hotel might be planning Xmas lunch this year but it's a bit of a journey. Woolacombe is better for food and plenty of other things. We don't know of any really good restaurants that would lay on a good Christmas lunch in Ilfracombe on Christmas Day, that isn't to say there are none. Food is a bit hit and miss in the Combe, at the best of times. Alfie and the Kaiser was passable last year but they might shut for the 25th. And of course, if driving, there is a Wetherspoons which isn't the same thing to us. You might try Combe Martin and their Pack O' Cards Inn on the main road. Proper food and good service though it's a bit pricey. Or Ye Olde George and Dragon near the Church in Combe Martin, again - very good staff. Still, Xmas lunch on the day seems to have gone out of fashion and that's a pity. Note, Woolacombe next year for us :)

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

Thanks everyone...! You've all been really kind with your suggestions..

The good news is that we've booked Hele Billy's for Christmas Day - their menu looks sumptuous - and this will be about 5 minute's walk from where we are staying!

We're really forward to visiting the area for the Christmas break! Just hoping that the weather is kind to us too!!

Cheers!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,900 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

I like Hele Billy's. I do tend to gravitate there if I go to Ilfracombe. Dog friendly too :-)

(Love Relish. Really want to get there some time again, but I'd have to leave the dog behind.)

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Lunch - 2016

I was born here and I'm ashamed of the place. We're down to see family this Xmas to find that boring idle Ilfracombe hasn't made much progress at all. We've given up on getting Xmas lunch or even looking for it so we'll just go to Barnstaple. Such a shame the High St. is still no further forward and its Pubs still have nothing to offer whatsoever. Whatever the "restaurants" - ha!- offer or the short hours they do, there still isn't anywhere nice to eat and Ilfracombe needs some talent and a few hard workers.

But it has helpfully opened a High St. booze shop to feed its massive drink problems....why? Madness. They already have a booze shop and it's called Wetherspoons, which has all but killed off local trade.

Never mind, they'll soon get a new Costa which should solve all their problems, I don't think.

Reply to: Christmas Lunch - 2016
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ilfracombe