We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to visit Lucca?

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
596 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Time to visit Lucca?

We are flying into Pisa in a couple of weeks and arrive at 11am. We cannot access our accommodation until 3pm so we're thinking of leaving our luggage at the train station and getting a train to Lucca for maybe 4/5 hrs then coming back to accommodation. We are then in Pisa for 2 nights before moving onto Florence.

Is it worth going to Lucca for just a few hours? And if we only leave 1 full day for Pisa which would be our 2nd day is this enough time to see the main sights before moving on?

Edited: 26 June 2017, 05:45
3 replies to this topic
Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to visit Lucca?

hi: your guidebook will have tons of information on "must sees", hidden gems, marketplaces, self-guided walk and maps, restaurants/eateris....having a good read is how you will know "do I have enough time for the things I'd like to see"....I would pour a nice glass of wine and make notes of what interests you.

Honestly, in my opinion, Lucca needs a minimum of 3 nights but you don't have 3 nights; you have 3-5 hours so of course you will only see a small fraction...but you will be able to get a glimpse of this very charming Tuscan city. Recommend that you have a good tourist map of Lucca.... take a stroll up on the ramparts (one can get up and down at numerous spots), grab a panini and hang out in one of Lucca's sweet piazzas....walk up to the amphitheater....stroll down the main shopping area....go inside Lucca's very pretty cathedral...Pisa is only 30 minutes from Lucca.

Pisa's main sight is the Field of Miracles and you can probably visit that within a few hours...so if there are other things you wish to see and do, you will have about 1/2 day for that.

Edited: 26 June 2017, 06:19
CA
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to visit Lucca?

http://wikitravel.org/en/Pisa

If you have to store your bags at Pisa Centrale [assuming you are not staying at a hotel where you could drop them off], and whatever you wish to see and do in Pisa can be fit into a single day, trains to Lucca take a half hour. However you would not have "a few hours" there. When all the steps are added in, I doubt if you could get there before 2PM.

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to visit Lucca?

We spent an afternoon in Lucca and it was definitely worth it. I combined Pisa and Lucca on a day trip from Florence. In hindsight I wished I had spent at least a whole day in Lucca.

Given your timing perhaps a better plan for you would be to store your luggage as soon as you arrive and head straight to the Field of Miracles. You can see the Leaning Tower, Cathedral and Baptistry in a few hours. Then return get your bags and check into your accommodation and spend evening in Pisa. Note that many hotels (and also ABNB bookings) let you store your luggage there while they are cleaning from the last occupants. I have done this a few time with an ABNB/Homeaway rental. I would look into this as it could save you some time.

Next day take the train to Lucca and spend the day there returning to Pisa after dinner.

Reply to: Time to visit Lucca?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Pisa
Recent Conversations