We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Cornwall

Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
One week in Cornwall

My husband and I want to do a one week tour of Cornwall the last week of October. Though we are very familiar with England as a whole (lived near London for a couple of years) this will be our first journey into Cornwall. What shouldn't we miss? We will be driving, prefer to stay in Air Bnb's or small inns, and like to be out on our own most of the time. If weather permits we love to ramble, especially from pub to pub or to beautiful places. I've Cornwall is overflowing with both!

8 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
98 reviews
1. Re: One week in Cornwall

Are you suggesting you want to stay in Charlestown? It's a really specific little sub thread to post in otherwise, posting in the generic "Cornwall" forum may have been better. In fact if you have a little read of that forum: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186…

You'll see this question comes up very often.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: One week in Cornwall

The last full week in October will be the school holidays so although Cornwall will not be packed as it was in peak season, it will still be busier then the weeks before and after. Assuming you don’t want to stay specifically in Charlestown, you have given a very broad remit which makes it difficult to narrow down to individual places. Please look at visitcornwall.co.uk and research where you would like to go and when you find somewhere that takes your fancy come back to the forum for more help.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: One week in Cornwall

As Kernewes and Ward say the remit is too wide and the general question has been covered many times. You only ask one direct question in the post - the unaswerable "what shouldn't we miss". If by that you mean what can I visit in Cornwall which is "unique" I'd suggest Tintagel Castle, Eden Project and Tate Modern at St Ives. Cornwall has a World Heritage Status for its Mining traditions, but I don't think a general tourist would find a widely scattered site of enormous interest - but I love Luxulyan Valley and Minions which are included in the site. Also a major Country Estate property such as Lanhydrock or Cotehele.

Your implied question about accommodation, as Airbnb is a web-based concept isn't that the place to look? "Inns" aren't really recognised nowadays; Pubs or Restaurants with rooms - try the usual accommodation web-sites.

Walking from Pub to Pub is possible on the coastal paths, but rural inland pubs are few and far between these days. In any case it would be pointless me suggesting The Rame Peninsula if you end up in St Ives. You also need to be aware of the very limited public transport options.

As far as the general image of Cornwall is concerned "pretty fishing villages", any number of places fulfill that criterion - Boscastle, Padstow, St Agnes, St Ives, Gorran Heven, Mevagissey, Fowey, Polperro, Looe - I'm sure I'll be in trouble for missing someone else's favourite such as St Mawes.

Wherever you go in Cornwall you will have a great holiday, just need to put some time in now to identify where satisfies your requirements.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: One week in Cornwall

Please note Tintagel Castle is closed from 1st October until next spring for construction of the bridge.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: One week in Cornwall

Ah forgot the proviso to check opening times. Thanks Kernewes.

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
734 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: One week in Cornwall

The advantage of holidaying in October half term is that quite a lot of places will still be open or will at the very least have some limited opening hours. This year there are 2 weeks worth of October half term - 20th October week is in county so cornwall schools and others have this week off and the following week the 27th is when a few out of county places have half term. You might therefore find that some places close prematurely after the Cornish half term so definitely worth checking. the disadvantage is that places will be busier, some will have a minimum nights stay ( 2 or 3 ) and it will be a bit more expensive. Also, please don't use websites like tripadvisor or visit cornwall or accommodation that has accreditation like quality in cornwall website or visit Britain. make sure you also check the situation regarding parking as don't assume that everywhere will offer it as free or at all.

Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: One week in Cornwall

I will chip in here.

Being from Australia with a Cornish wife, I have visited Cornwall 4 or 5 times in the last 20 years.

It has always been amazing to me.

This year we visited again, with my sister, who has never been to the UK. She planned to spend about 4 days in Cornwall, before visiting other parts of the UK.

I had to think, where do you go to show someone the essence of Cornwall in a few days?

So here is what we did...

From London, to Veryan, where we based ourselves. Veryan is a beautiful, historic village with one pub, one shop, one church, and a history which extends back before the Domesday Book.

From here I made sure we did:

- a morning drive through Portloe, Portholland. Gorran Haven, etc

- an afternoon in Heligan Gardens

- a morning in Truro, then an afternoon in Lanhydrock

- a trip across King Harry ferry, then an afternoon in Trelissick Gardens

- a day in St Ives, then a drive back through Zennor, St Just, Penzance, etc

So that was 4 days... and I had other ideas.

Good luck!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
220 reviews
8. Re: One week in Cornwall

My must sees probably won’t match yours. For example I love architectural and industrial heritage and churches. You might prefer surfing and shopping.

Why not start by telling us the places you already have on your shortlist, in other words the places and things that made you decide to visit Cornwall. Then we can chip in with similar suggestions and help with logistics.

Reply to: One week in Cornwall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charlestown
Recent Conversations