We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car - Pick up at the port?

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car - Pick up at the port?

We are renting a home in Tuscany in June after we get off a cruise from Venice to Civitacecchia. I will need a rental car anyway while in Tuscany - was hoping to rent at the port - but the only locations I can find rental cars is at the airport or train station in Rome.

It seems crazy to pay a transfer to Rome to pick up a rental car.

Thanks for any advice or city name that migh offer us a better route. The home is between Florence and Pisa.

I am not opposed to taking a train - was just thinking that getting a rental car at the port would make the most sense.

4 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car - Pick up at the port?

Car rental Civitavecchia drop off Rome Termini www.autoeurope.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Italy, avoid driving in city centres especially Florence.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy.

www.italia.it/en/home.html www.discovertuscany.com

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car - Pick up at the port?

Thank you - As I kept digging thru Trip Advisor - I found another post for Car Hire - showing a UK site -

I was so relieved to know there is a location at the port - we do have an international driver's license from about 10 years ago! We will look into a more current one -

Indianapolis...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car - Pick up at the port?

We are doing the same thing in September, we get off the ship in Civitavecchia and heading to Tuscany,

were you able to rent a car at the port, or how did you get to Tuscany?

Thanks!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car - Pick up at the port?

If you go to boards.cruisecritic.com and then to the Ports of Call section for Italy ask your question there. There is a frequent cruiser who has rented from Civitavecchia several times and given his advice. He will likely read your post and respond.

Reply to: Rental Car - Pick up at the port?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia