We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Rome

Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Rome

My husband & I are going to be arriving at Civitavecchia on a NCL ship on October 25th of this year. The ship arrives at 6 a.m. I'm sure it will be an hour or more until we could disembark. Instead of taking the train to Rome booked by the ship (approximately $400) I wonder how easy & reliable it is to walk to the train station & take a train on our own (bear in mind that while we've traveled in Europe by rail before it was in an English speaking country). Also, once we get to Rome, if we have purchased a Rome City Pass or "skip the line" ticket, will we still have a long line to get into the major attractions (Vatican, St. Peter's, Colosseum, etc). We will have approximately 7 hours I'm guessing. I know that is a very short time, but it is what it is. Many thanks for your help.

12 replies to this topic
Turin
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Rome

Nobody skips the security lines, but if you buy tickets and/or tours on the official sites at least you can skip both tickets lines and rip-offs.

If you can find your gates inside huge airports you should be able to find also a train station where everybody else will be headed to. Civitavecchia could be smaller than a couple of airports you've been in your life.

There are tons of trains, check the schedules on www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en entering your day of travel and an hour of departure after 6 am.

If you purchase on-line a Regionale train ticket, you can get on the booked train and on any other regionale making the same route and departing within the next 4 hours.

Unfortunately You can't get on a faster Intercity train with a Regionale ticket.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Rome

Hi, my wife and I are taking the same NCL cruise. I wonder if you guys are interested in having a private guided tour (9/10 hours) together. There is one called

driveguideservice.com

for a private tour of 1-4 persons Euro 500 and 5-7 Euro 530. Sounds pretty reasonable.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Rome

I just checked the train schedule. The earliest train available is 12:43 pm. All earlier trains are full.

Turin
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Rome

Are you serious?

Intercity Trains very rarely sell out and regionale trains can't sell out as there are no reserved seats on regionales.

What made you think that all trains are sold out and what site are you using?

On trenitalia.com/tcom-en you must enter a day and an hour of departure, otherwise the site defaults to the time on your system.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Rome

The image of a shopping cart with a line through indicates that tickets are not yet on sale, not that a train is sold out.

Turin
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Rome

I've just checked, there are no sold out trains and no barred carts in October.

Edited: 09 August 2017, 20:12
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,201 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Rome

It sounds like this is a port stop, not disembarking, correct?

You can easily make your way to the train station. Depending on where in the port you are berthed you may be able to walk directly from your ship to the station. (Berths 10 - 13 are closer to the Forte Michelangelo pedestrian entrance/exit, which is just a quarter mile from the train station.)

If you are further into the port (#24 or #25 for example) you'll be forced to use the free port shuttle to the Della Pace entrance/exit, one mile north of the train station.

Port map here: …portmobility.it/sites/all/modules/pomo_serv…

If you're lucky enough to be at one of the closer (southernmost, although it's hard to tell on the port map because it's oddly oriented) berths you can save a lot of time by walking to the station. It's more effort but you'll be there well after the hot season.

At the station you can avoid the Trenitalia train ticket line and simply buy your ticket from the newsstand. The ticket you want is the 5-zone BIRG that costs (today, anyway) €12. This ticket is good for your round trip train fare (on regional trains only) as well as all metros, buses and trams in Rome for the entire day. Be sure to validate your ticket by stamping it in the machines in the station or on the track before boarding the train. I haven't used one of these tickets in a couple of years so I don't know if there is a space to write your name on the back side, check and do so if there is a place for it. The BIRG is a regional ticket and it is not available for purchase on line.

Edited: 09 August 2017, 20:27
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Rome

Thanks for your advice. I must have picked the wrong station (Civitavecchia) and there were barred carts for all the morning schedules. I guess it should be Civitavecchia (Tutte le Stazioni) instead.

Given that it looks like these are commuter trains and no reserved seats, should I just buy the ticket at station instead of buying online.

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Rome

very detailed and useful information. Thanks a lot.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Rome

Now I understand. Thanks a lot.

Reply to: Train to Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia