We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Rome

Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Rome

My husband & I are going to be arriving at Civitavecchia on a NCL ship on October 25th of this year. The ship arrives at 6 a.m. I'm sure it will be an hour or more until we could disembark. Instead of taking the train to Rome booked by the ship (approximately $400) I wonder how easy & reliable it is to walk to the train station & take a train on our own (bear in mind that while we've traveled in Europe by rail before it was in an English speaking country). Also, once we get to Rome, if we have purchased a Rome City Pass or "skip the line" ticket, will we still have a long line to get into the major attractions (Vatican, St. Peter's, Colosseum, etc). We will have approximately 7 hours I'm guessing. I know that is a very short time, but it is what it is. Many thanks for your help.

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Train to Rome

In 2016, my cruise stop at Rome for a day (7AM- 7PM). Here what we did.

- At outside the gate there is a (lines) of bus (I guess local bus, 1 or 2 Euro) to take you to the Cicitavecchia train station, there will be about 1000 people get off the ship and go to the Civitavecchia train station, so you will not miss this. This is a short drive and I recommend this so you can travel with your fellows cruisers so you can ask them What/How/Where/Why to do.

- At Civitavecchia train station you buy the ticket (around 7 Euro) to Rome Train Station, If you want to see Vatican then you can get of at Pietro ... Station (one/two station before the Rome Train Station)

- On the return you can get on Rome Main trains station or Pietro...train Station back to Civitavecchia train station.

- At the Civitavecchia station, we wandered around town and walk back to the cruise port, so I do not know the transportation back to the port. (Sorry)

To see Vatican: Get off at Pietro .. Station, walk out of the station, then turn right walk about 20-30 yards and look around, you will see the Dome of Vatican , then from there you use your common sense and your boy scout ability to walk to the Vatican. There are some building to cover the Vatican Dome but your will be OK.

There will be a looooong line to go in side the Vatican (Pietro Basilica ?). Don't wasting your time stay in line, spend your time on another Rome's "places to see".

At the Vatican , you can take metro/Hop-on tour bus/..... to go anywhere in Rome. Rome got a very good public transportation system.

Toronto
Level Contributor
6 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Train to Rome

From Civitavecchia to ROME by Train. easy!

don't be intimidated by the fact Rome is 1 hour from the Civitavecchia. SHips charge insane prices..$100+ to get you to Rome. YOu can do it for 10 Euros return per person

When you get off your cruise ship there are shuttles to get you out of the port. you don't need to walk. In fact they don't want people mulling around.!

1. When you get off your ship, take the bus/ shuttle to Cibitavecchia about 1 km away. Basically its a new area ( 2016) where the busses drop you off.

2. There you will find lots of taxi drivers yelling to give you a ride, tour people etc. In some cases the deals are good and for 20 euro per person they can take you to Rome ( note, with other people).

3. OR... take a taxi over to the train station. Its about 15 minute walk, through town. You can find the station with the map you get on your shuttle or at the bus area. If you don't have a map you walk along the sea Front where you will see the station ( 1km away or 15 min walk)

4. Trains to Rome are 5 Euros one way. They come every 20 minutes.

5. Buy your ticket from the "trenitalia" self-service machine. Don't wait in line. use the machine.

The machine will ask you where to (Termini Rome)... use your credit card to tap or put in $$.

You can also buy your return ticket. You have to know within 4 hours when you will be leaving rome. So it you think you are leaving Rome around 5 pm, the ticket allows you to stay as late as 9pm.. ( you can also get on earlier if you like)

jump on.. lots of seats! usually on track 20

Arrive in Rome in 1 hour ( aprox)

Reply to: Train to Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia