We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

I'm taking my first cruise and my first trip to Europe next week. I've been trying to do some research on my own to see if its easy for a non-native to get from the cruise port in Civitavecchia to the center of Rome on our own to save some money and not buy the cruise ship pre-planned excursions.

I typically like to live like a local when traveling and do things off the beaten path but Roman tourist attractions are something I just have to see if I'm that close as I don't know if I'll ever make it back there.

It looks like the cruise port is about 1 mile from the train station and that I can take a cheap train ride (about 6 euros?) to Rome in 50 minutes. Looks like the run every hour out of the station so I'm hoping I won't have trouble making it back to the ship on time.

Has anyone done this? It sounds easy but I'm worried that if I don't pre-book transportation I could miss out on this opportunity. Especially with very minimum Italian knowledge I'm worried about communicating with locals for directions or transportation requests etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia
Province of Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
7 replies to this topic
Turin
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

Just follow the crowds of cruisers doing the same thing. You could also go on cruisecritic and find other passengers interested in sharing a private transfer.

Do you have a smartphone and free internet access on those ships? You could install trenitalia's app at home and purchase a Regionale train ticket on-line only when the ship has docked. A Regionale e-ticket doesn't need to be printed and validated. More, it can be used on the booked train and on any other Regionale making the same route and departing within the next 4 hours. Just note down the train codes of the trains you can take and look for them on the "Partenze/Departures" boards at the railway station. Track numbers will be posted under the last column headed "binari/platform".

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

Great tips thank you!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,881 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

The train works just fine. Check out YouTube for helpful videos and go to the Ports of Call section on boards.cruisecritic.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

You cannot book the Regionale trains between Civitavecchia and Rome. These trains have no seat reservations, so tickets cannot sell out, and no advance purchase discounts. It would be like trying to book on the MTBA.

At Civitavecchia, buy a BIRG ticket which will cover transport to and from Rome on Regionale trains, plus unlimited travel by bus, tram or metro in Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia
Province of Rome, Italy
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,264 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

The BIRG ticket costs 12 euros

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

And plan where you want to get off and start your exploration of Rome, and where you intend to board the train to return to the port in the afternoon. For example, we got off at San Pietro station but we re-boarded at Termini. This might be too much ground to cover for some people, so evaluate what you want to see and decide what will work for you.

Allow enough hours to get back to your departure station in Rome, take your train back to Civitavecchia, get from the train station there to the port and to your ship.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia
Province of Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

Got off the Costa cruise and planned to catch a train to Rome for sightseeing for the day. At the port's exit gate, many day tour companies touted for business. At 20 euro per person charged by Priamo Scarf for the return trip by a coach for about 20 people,including visiting Vatican, coliseum and the Spanish steps...etc., it seemed to be a good deal. Another group offered a Mercedes van for 8 people at 25 euro each. I chose the former but in hindsight, we should have paid 25 euro for more comfort and perhaps better service. The driver could speak little English only. He dropped us off at the Vatican church, then picked us up later and drove us to the Coliseum. The final stop (which was not explained to me and I only realised that when the coach left Rome for the cruise port) was at a car park. He struggled to tell us where the car park was located (actually near Castle Saint Angelo) and wasn't able to tell me clearly in English where the other sightseeing spots were. Fortunately we had a small map and managed to find our way to Piazza Navona and Pantheon. We assumed he'd pick us up again and then drove us to Trevi fountain and Spanish steps. When we got back to the coach, he simply drove us back to Civitavecchia. So we missed seeing the most important 2 places in Rome.

I'd have given 4 stars instead of 2 to this company Priamo Scarl should he have been able to explain to me or give me a map to show how we could have gone to all these places ourselves. So if you know how to find your way around in Rome by yourself, 20 euro was still a good deal as a more convenient way of getting you to Rome and back to your cruise on time.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
256 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
32,783 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
66,549 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
84,027 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia
Province of Rome, Italy
Reply to: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted