We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

I'm taking my first cruise and my first trip to Europe next week. I've been trying to do some research on my own to see if its easy for a non-native to get from the cruise port in Civitavecchia to the center of Rome on our own to save some money and not buy the cruise ship pre-planned excursions.

I typically like to live like a local when traveling and do things off the beaten path but Roman tourist attractions are something I just have to see if I'm that close as I don't know if I'll ever make it back there.

It looks like the cruise port is about 1 mile from the train station and that I can take a cheap train ride (about 6 euros?) to Rome in 50 minutes. Looks like the run every hour out of the station so I'm hoping I won't have trouble making it back to the ship on time.

Has anyone done this? It sounds easy but I'm worried that if I don't pre-book transportation I could miss out on this opportunity. Especially with very minimum Italian knowledge I'm worried about communicating with locals for directions or transportation requests etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

6 replies to this topic
Turin
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

Just follow the crowds of cruisers doing the same thing. You could also go on cruisecritic and find other passengers interested in sharing a private transfer.

Do you have a smartphone and free internet access on those ships? You could install trenitalia's app at home and purchase a Regionale train ticket on-line only when the ship has docked. A Regionale e-ticket doesn't need to be printed and validated. More, it can be used on the booked train and on any other Regionale making the same route and departing within the next 4 hours. Just note down the train codes of the trains you can take and look for them on the "Partenze/Departures" boards at the railway station. Track numbers will be posted under the last column headed "binari/platform".

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

Great tips thank you!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

The train works just fine. Check out YouTube for helpful videos and go to the Ports of Call section on boards.cruisecritic.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

You cannot book the Regionale trains between Civitavecchia and Rome. These trains have no seat reservations, so tickets cannot sell out, and no advance purchase discounts. It would be like trying to book on the MTBA.

At Civitavecchia, buy a BIRG ticket which will cover transport to and from Rome on Regionale trains, plus unlimited travel by bus, tram or metro in Rome.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

The BIRG ticket costs 12 euros

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?

And plan where you want to get off and start your exploration of Rome, and where you intend to board the train to return to the port in the afternoon. For example, we got off at San Pietro station but we re-boarded at Termini. This might be too much ground to cover for some people, so evaluate what you want to see and decide what will work for you.

Allow enough hours to get back to your departure station in Rome, take your train back to Civitavecchia, get from the train station there to the port and to your ship.

Reply to: Getting from Civitavecchia to Rome for sightseeing on own?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia