We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

It's last minute, but we are in Montefalco now and thinking of going to Norcia tomorrow (23 Sept). We don't want to be disrespectful by visiting, given the massive loss from the earthquake, and understand the solemnity that might be required by the circumstances. The thought though is that so much tourism was lost from the earthquake, and we likely would have visited for the day had it not happened, so is there rationale to still go?

Interested in any perspectives, especially anyone local and affected by the events.

11 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

No report of big damages in Norcia, I'd go in order to show your support.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

I hope you went (even without sollemnity) and you discovered that the situation is not so dreadful. If you want to do some report, I think it will be very useful.

Edited: 26 September 2016, 15:57
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

I know this is an old post, but for any people with imminent plans to visit, I was very saddened to see photos of Norcia on the BBC taken after the most recent (10/30) quake. Thankfully, nobody killed or seriously injured, but really serious structural damage within the town walls (and to the walls). The roof of the church on the main square appeared to have collapsed into the church. People who had been evacuated to Norcia following the previous week's aftershock had to be moved yet again. Actually, it sounded like everyone had been forced out of the area within the walls. I hope that turns out to have been temporary.

Edited: 04 November 2016, 11:20
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

We live in a city devastated by a quake in 2011. you go through stages. Immediately after the quake when they are recuing people and trying to reconnect the sewers and water you do not want "rubber neckers". However very shortly after this you are pleased to see an outsider "feel your pain", to buy a coffee etc and support your industry

The big thing is to show respect in how you conduct yourself with photographs etc. It could be as simple as asking "Do you mind?" before getting camera out. I guess Italians may see it the same way.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

As of today, Norcia is off limits, only firemen and techicians can enter the town.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

I failed to update from my original post. We did indeed visit on 9/23 and very much enjoyed the town. It seemed at that time Norcia was something of a command center for those working to rescue and repair in the surrounding areas. We also saw what looked to be an encampment and aid center just outside the town wall- not sure if it was for victims or responders/workers. We felt it inappropriate to ask, rightly or wrongly.

Either way, we are heartbroken that the earthquakes have continued and about the further damage in Norcia. It was, and hopefully can be again, such a beautiful little town.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

Anyway, I find really very sad that TripAdvisor has deleted the profiles of two of the most important attractions in Norcia, the church San Benedetto and the square San Benedetto. Of course the church doesn't stand any longer, but reading the past reviews could be a help to understand what this town was like and what it hopefully will be like again. And the square, although so much damaged, is always a square. Deleting the profiles is like meaning that they have never existed and that they won't exist anymore.

Cowplain, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

It is indeed a pity that TripAdvisor has chosen to delete the profiles of these important attractions in Norcia. It would surely have been a simple matter to state that "these attractions are likely to be closed for the foreseeable future due to earthquake damage".

The region has suffered devastating damage and it will take decades to rebuild the worst damaged towns and villages.

Tourism is vital to the economy of the area and visitors should be encouraged to return to this beautiful region. Italians are wonderful, friendly people and will appreciate your support.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

My husband and I have visited Umbria before, including Spoleto twice (wonderful history, hiking, food) and have wished we had time to go to Norcia and the Piano Grande. We are thinking of going in late May 2018 and, like others on this post, have been dismayed at the de facto news blackout about the progress of rebuilding. There are the monks at the Nursia Brewery but little other info newer than shortly after the second quake in October 2016. I did find an encouraging April 2017 article from The Guardian--Google "the guardian norcia" to read it. We have a hotel reservation and plan at least to enjoy the food, the mountains, the monasteries, and the lovely vegetation. Also, I hope that in another 8 months more roads and trails will be passable.

Cowplain, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?

Following my earlier post on this subject we decided to visit Norcia in early June 2017 after taking advice from Italian friends. Despite the extensive damage the town is open for business but areas considered dangerous (zona rossa) are cordoned off. Of course we had mixed feelings about visiting but Norcia relies heavily on tourism. We purchased meat products and had lunch so in a small way felt we were supporting local businesses. We spoke to several locals and were reassured that visitors are welcome.

At the time of our visit Castelluccio was off limits although I understand tourists were able to visit the floral displays on Piano Grande under guidance from the authorities.

Reply to: Thoughts on visiting Norcia post-quake?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Norcia