We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Positano

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lodging in Positano

Greetings,

Our family of four, two daughters 18 and 16 yrs old, are traveling to Italy this summer. One town on our list is Positano where we will be staying 4 nights. We are looking for that postcard view with a reasonably priced accommodation. It seems to me that Via Cristoforo Columbo is the street to stay on. I have narrowed it down to either booking Albergo California or Hotel L'Ancora. Albergo California is cheaper and it looks like it would be one room with sleeper sofas or Albergo California with two rooms, (quadruple is unavailable). Anyone that has stayed at either hotel with recommendations? We want a clean place to lay our head but would love to same some Euros for eating great food and shopping. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hotel L'Ancora
Hotel L'Ancora
298 Reviews
Sardinia, Italy
9 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in Positano

Also look at Via Pasitea - IMO just as good a location.

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in Positano

Thank you! I'll check that out. Appreciate the feedback.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,882 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in Positano

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples - that the comparison you are making is for rooms in the same category.

L'Ancora is a sister hotel to Covo De Saraceni down at the beach - I think - but not sure - that means you can use their pool but you would need to check and confirm that is the case.

These are both in a very good location - close to the pedestrian only walkway down to the beach/sea area, have great views

If the savings is significant that will likely sway you I imagine. For me it is about the terrace and the view and the room is secondary when I am in Positano - so, it depends on what matters to you and your family

I don't think you can go wrong with either

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in Positano

Yes, I had read about the sister property, Covo, and that is why we are considering this property because of the pool access. I have sent a message to L'Ancora to ask about that but haven't heard back yet. We are trying to justify the higher cost to have a pool... We feel like the area is the same and the view is amazing from either property.

We agree with you that the view is the higher priority in this amazing town!

Do you have any other recommendations for lodging? Thanks for your input!

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in Positano

The two hotels are almost opposite one another on Via Cristoforo Colombo. The parking lot for Hotel L’Ancora (now converted to a bar/restaurant) can be seen on many of the travellers photos for Albergo California.

On one side of the road - right next door to each other - are hotel L’Ancora and Hotel Sirenuse.. over the road from them - all next to each other but without pools - are Hotel California, Residence Alcione and Villa Rosa. All have very similar views.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel L’Ancora
Hotel L’Ancora
114 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
1,025 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Hotel California
Hotel California
604 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Residence Alcione
Residence Alcione
246 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in Positano

Hotel Marincanto is on that road too - wonderful views, a pool, and private staircase to beach

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Marincanto
Hotel Marincanto
1,272 Reviews
Positano, Italy
cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging in Positano

Yes, Hotel Marincanto is another great choice - it’s 3 minutes’ walk further up the street from Hotel California.

It may boil down to what availability you can find for this summer.. I advise you to book something as soon as possible - your options are probably already quite limited.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Marincanto
Hotel Marincanto
1,272 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Hotel California
Hotel California
604 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Springfield...
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging in Positano

We stayed at hotel California, very simple but clean and the views were gorgeous, we did not care about the pool, we went to the beach 2 out of 4 days we stayed in Positano, very good restaurant just below the hotel - Bruno and one just up the road - casa Mele. One day we went to Path of Gods, beautiful trail

Mentioned in this post
Hotel California
Hotel California
604 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Bruno
Bruno
1,279 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Ristorante Casa Mele
Ristorante Casa Mele
625 Reviews
Positano, Italy
PERTH WA
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging in Positano

@travektisoaub2010 Can you please tell me how you got from positano to walk the Path of Gods. I am wanting to do this. The only way so far I can see is to catch 2 buses then walk back to Positano.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Reply to: Lodging in Positano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted