We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano to Rome question

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Positano to Rome question

Hello TA Friends!

My wife and I will be traveling to Positano in June of this year and then heading onto Rome. We plan on taking a car service from Naples Airport into Positano, and then upon departure, taking a high speed train into Rome. My question is: should we look to take the train out of Naples (and get a car service back to Naples) or Salerno and take the ferry from Positano to Salerno?

Any advice/preferences from those of you who have made a similar voyage?

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples Airport
Naples Airport
Naples, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
17 replies to this topic
Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Positano to Rome question

Susie Q: if you can still cancel or change the tickets why not book a through train schedule? (A schedule with no change of trains.). Personally, I'd choose the ferry to Salerno any day over traveling by motor vehicle to Naples and then the train. I just dislike the ride and the traffic. What better way to leave the AC than by ferry? You should be able to find out a day or so in advance if weather may pose a problem and make alternate arrangements but if weather is not an issue (and it's usually not) then do the more positively memorable thing and ferry to Salerno.

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
MN
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Positano to Rome question

Thanks pnaj for your feedback. I will keep my plan as is since the option for one train ride straight through to Rome takes 3 hours vs, 2 hours that I booked (even with the change of trains in Naples). I look forward to taking the ferry to Salerno and enjoy the scenic view that AC has to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Positano to Rome question

The high speed train from Salerno to Rome is 90 minutes and from Naples to Rome is 70 minutes. A three hour train ride is an Intercity. For me I've always found it more convenient to have a driver pick me up in Positano and take me to Naples train station. I like the "door to door" service and not be tied to the ferry schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Orlando, Florida...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Positano to Rome question

Hello there. I was in Positano last year. This is how we got to the amalfi. From Rome we took high-speed train to Naples. From Naples we rode the circumvesuviana train..about two hours long. The lenght of ride was not the main concern rather the pick pocketeers. Train ticket was cheep including luggages. The trains can be found under Naples main terminal just a few plights below the main terminal. Take the number 3 line to Sorrento, which was the last stop. Then from Sorrento you can ride the bus to Positano or baot or car rental. We stayed in Sorrento because it has all the amenities for a great vacation. We used Sorrento as home base and visited other small town including a day trip to Capri. Take advantage of boat rides they are less stressful. Then when returning to Rome I suggest riding high speed boat to Naples then high speed train to Rome. Mind you, you need to have all your energy in Positano because of the steep steps. I counted 340 steps going down to the beach. LOL. Happy trip you gonna love it stranger and eat some good pasta for me. Chao bello

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Positano to Rome question

I agree. Not a fan of the ferry-Salerno-Naples-Rome itinerary. Too long! I prefer limo to Naples then train. If you can't cancel, then you are stuck. And make the best of it!!!

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
MN
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Positano to Rome question

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and Smurfocolypse for allowing me to hijack his post.

I booked my tickets through Trenitalia.com so does anyone know if I can cancel? That was the shortest route that I was able to find on that train line. But if I’m not able to change, we will certainly try to have a good time despite the convoluted route that I got us into:) Who knows, we might even like it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Positano to Rome question

No problem at all Suzie Q - glad it could be as helpful to you as it was to me!

I think my plan will still be to take the ferry to Salerno and take a non stop, high speed train from there to Rome. If I don't particularly like the times available or feel that there's too much risk in the multiple means of transport, I'll fall back on the car service to Naples and non stop high speed from Naples to Rome.

thanks all for the responses and advice!

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Reply to: Positano to Rome question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted