We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Sorento or Positano

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Sorento or Positano

Based on my research a lot of people are suggesting to stay in Sorento then drive to Positano..if I am not going to have a car what is another mode of transportation?

Do people prefer to stay in Sorento vs. Positano? Is it due to the cost of the hotels?

Do people do more Sorento meaning have a hotel there then do day trips from Sorento to Positano? Amaifli Cost? Capri etc?

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
5 replies to this topic
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Sorento or Positano

We have never stayed in Positano, but we have stayed in Sorrento and taken day trips via bus, taxi and private driver to Naples, Amalfi Coast, Positano, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Pompeii...There was a central bus stop in Sorrento when we stayed there a few years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Naples
Naples
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
480 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Sorento or Positano

I am debating the same thing. Travel agents told me to stay in Sorrento as it is easier to get to and you can make that a home base while you travel all over the coast and Capri. Since we have a different excursion for each day, I think that works for us. We won't really be in the hotel or base town very much.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Sorento or Positano

I choose to stay in Positano because I want to be on the Amalfi Coast which Sorrento is not. They are totally different from each other.

If the majority of the time you want to explore all the different Amalfi Coast villages then absolutely stay somewhere on the Amalfi Coast.

If you will be spending your days going to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, and Naples then Sorrento is the better choice as it's much more convenient.

You can get to Capri as easily from Positano as from Sorrento.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
480 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Naples
Naples
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
4. Re: Staying in Sorento or Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 March 2018, 04:09

New York
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Sorento or Positano

It makes absolutely no difference whether you stay in Sorrento or Positano to go to Capri. Unless you're traveling totally off season there are ferries/hydrofoils from both locations direct to Capri.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Reply to: Staying in Sorento or Positano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted