We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Hi everyone

At the very early planning stage of a trip to southern Italy for July 2019. If I could have suggestions or advice on planning itinerary I'd appreciate it. Would like to mainly focus over a 4 week period on the Naples, Herculaneum/Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello for one period. Then thinking of hiring a car to drive to Alberobello and Matera. From there drive down to Sicily.

Firstly should I base myself in Naples for the Naples portion of the trip? Or can that be done from the Sorrento region? Any suggestions on how many days in Naples?

To see Herculaneum/Pompeii is it best done from Naples or Sorrento region?

Stay in the Sorrento/Positano/AC for the second half. How long would you suggest I would need to cover these places.

Secondly how long would I need to see the Alberobello and Matera?

Thinking of spending a 1 week in Sicily and if possible dropping off the car prior. After Sicily thinking of spending some time in Malta.

Flying from Sydney so probably most practical would be to fly to Rome. If anyone else has other suggestion happy to hear it.

Not sure best option then to get from Rome down the coast.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

30 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,289 posts
1. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

There are three different train services....

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18787…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,289 posts
2. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

And with limited time in Sicily then focus on Eastern Sicily, and depart from Pozzallo, or fly from Catania.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
3,292 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

If you are planning a full week in Naples/Amalfi Coast area I might pick two bases. Naples is a large bustling city whereas Sorrento is a large seaside town. Both are good bases to see Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius. Then I would choose one Amalfi Coast village (these are very small villages in comparison to Sorrento) for the remainder of the stay, ideally Amalfi or Positano because they have the ferry link. During high season you can use the ferries to visit other villages and do a day trip to Capri. Now as for the Puglia leg, you could easily spend a week there as there is much to see beyond Matera (which is not technically in Puglia but in the Basilicata region) and the trulli village of Alberobello. Are you aware of the distance from Amalfi Coast to these regions? It is quite a drive. We visited Matera this summer on the way to Puglia from the AC and it is certainly worth an overnight stay or two. Much of Puglia is about 1.5-2 hours from Matera.

Edited: 23 August 2018, 11:14
Sydney, Australia
10 posts
4. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Thank you Vagabonda for your reply.

As you mentioned to focus on the eastern side of Sicily what would be your recommendations of things to do and see? Would you recommend we ditch the car before we get to Sicily?

Thank you for the suggestions from Pozallo and Catania I will look into it.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
5. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Thank you Bonniebelle 4 for your reply.

Yes my intention would be to stay overnight for a few days in the Matera region from AC and then drive down to Sicily.

Any suggestions from where to rent a car to drive to Matera and beyond to avoid hassles in the AC area as I've heard it's a nightmare. Would Salermo be a better option to hire the car from? Any suggestions?

Your thoughts on Pompeii /Herculaneum which do you prefer or both your thoughts would be great. Transport to these destinations from Naples what are my best options?

How many nights would you suggest in Naples?

Thank you again.

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Salerno is easy for car rental pickup from Hertz or Europcar.

Be sure to check out www.viamichelin.com for driving routes and cost estimates re fuel and possible tolls.

Level Contributor
3,292 posts
102 reviews
7. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Rent the car in Salerno or Sorrento. Both Pompeii and Herculaneum are fascinating, well preserved sites. You will often see people who say they believe Herculaneum is better preserved but we felt they both were. Herculaneum is a much smaller site than Pompeii and also has some areas of shade if you plan to travel there during the hot summer months. There is virtually no shade at Pompeii. Both are great - if I had to choose one I would probably start with Pompeii first because it is so iconic. We did Pompeii the first time around and Herculaneum on different trip to the area.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,289 posts
8. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Prego mazpert,

You might see Siracusa, Ragusa, Taormina, and Catania.

And perhaps Piazza Armerina's Villa Romana del Casale.

You would appreciate the car for exploring the Southeast.

But avoid driving in Catania, so return the car at Aeroporto Catania if you intend an overnight in Catania.

Aeroporto Catania is easily reached from Taormina and Siracusa, so you might also return the car in either town, and then take public transport onward to Catania or Aeroporto Catania.

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
9. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Grazie Vagabonda

I will do some further research with your suggestions. Are you OK if I re contact you down the track for some more information once I have a more firm itinerary?

Thank you again

Ciao

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
10. Re: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily

Hi Bonniebelle 4 thank you again for your response.

After the information provided I'm leaning towards Herculaneum as it will be during the summer months and shade does sound inviting.

Would you recommend doing this day trip while staying in Naples? If so how do you get to the site? Would you need a whole day to see?

Thanks again for your help

Reply to: Help with itinerary for southern Italy - Naples, AC, Sicily
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted