We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

Dublin
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

Hi, am flying into Da Vinci airport in Sept and then travelling on to Spoleto but am a little nervous about taking the train as it seems so complicated. Does anyone know if there is a direct coach service from the airport to Spoleto which would make things very easy for me.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Province of Perugia, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

The train is the best way to Spoleto, and it's not complicated. When you get to the airport, go to the train station, and buy tickets all the way to Spoleto. You'll have to change trains either at Rome's Termini station (usually) or at Tiburtina station (rarely). If you're changing at Termini, you take the Leonardo Express from the aiport, and if you're changing at Tiburtina, you take the FR1, the only other train at the airport.

At Termini or Tiburtina, the train you want will be going to Ancona, although there's one train a day (leaving Termini at 17:25) that ends in Rimini rather than Ancona.

I've been taking this train for years, since when I first traveled to Italy and didn't know Italian yet. Most of the trains on the route are regional trains, so the tickets have to be stamped in the little yellow machine by the track before you board the train.

There are trains from the airport to some towns in Umbria, such as Assisi, but not to Spoleto, probably because they couldn't compete with the train.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Ancona
Ancona
Province of Ancona, Italy
Rimini
Rimini
Province of Rimini, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Dublin
Level Contributor
195 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

I don't think there is a direct coach from the airport to Spoleto (I wish there were). You can seemingly though travel to Umbria by coach or train. Though I've never travelled it myself it seems that there is a bus from outside Tiburtina station in central Rome which travels to Cascia /Norcia and from there you can get another bus to Spoleto. Easier though I suspect is to travel into Termini train station in Rome and then get a train (Rome - Ancona line) to Spoleto. My advice is to travel earlier in the day - then if you make mistakes there is many opportunities to rectify them. G

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Cascia
Cascia
Norcia
Norcia
Stazione Termini
Stazione Termini
4,122 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Ancona
Ancona
Province of Ancona, Italy
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

There is excellent train service from Rome to Spoleto. I would connect from FCO Airport at Roma Tiburtina and take an inexpensive unreserved regionale train, rather than the twice-as-expensive (and only slightly faster) Intercity train from Roma Termini.

At the Spoleto Station, you can take the local city bus up the hill to Spoleto Old Town (tickets from the station newsstand). There are also taxis waiting to take you in style and comfort directly to your hotel.

If you prefer to stay close to the station, the Hotel Europa is your best and only choice. I've recently reviewed it on this website.

The Spoleto Station has a manned ticket counter (Monday through Friday only, closes for lunch and again at 15:00), as well as one electronic ticket machine which accepts both cash and cards. There are two older ticket machines for regionale tickets only. There is also a station newsstand and a cafe/bar with long working hours (sells bus tickets also).

Edited: 14 June 2012, 04:49
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Spoleto
Spoleto
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Hotel Roma Tiburtina
Hotel Roma Tiburtina
245 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

All of the trains to Spoleto start from Termini station, although the regional trains also stop at Tiburtina.

I disagree with you, GAC, on this advice. This is a person who's uncertain of her ability to travel to Spoleto by train. The best thing for her to do is to ask for a ticket to Spoleto at the airport train station, either from the ticket agent or the machine, and get the ticket they recommend, which is the one that will get her to Spoleto fastest.

Here are my reasons, which Kelly doesn't have to read, because it will make her think the trip is complicated, and it isn't at all.

1. Trains are not terribly frequent on this line. If the next train leaving is an IC train, I would certainly pay the 7 euros additional fare rather than wait two hours for the cheaper regional train. If you go to Tiburtina, you'll be forced to wait for the next train two hours later, because the IC train will toodle through without stopping there.

2. In some circumstances it's better to change at Termini and in others it's better to change at Tiburtina if you're taking a regional train. If you're a whiz at timetables, you can make all the calculations and arrive at an informed decision. Otherwise, you're better off taking whichever train is recommended at the time you arrive at the station,. If you arrive at 6:20, they'll sell you a ticket for the FR1 6:28, to catch the regional train that stops at Tiburtina at 7:52. If you arrive ten minutes later, they'll sell you a ticket on the Leonardo Express to catch the same train at Termini at 7:43.

GAC would almost certainly say, "I'll wait and catch the a later FR1 train at 6:43 , because I can almost certainly still catch the train at Tiburtina, even though there will be only 21 minutes between trains rather than 33. That way, I'll save 7 euros." I might say the same thing, but I also might say, "I'd rather have half an hour at Termini, so I have time to have a cappuccino and buy a newspaper." If I had never traveled in Italy before, it would be best that I just took the train recommended. An extra ten minutes is sometimes very useful when you're in an unfamiliar train station and are a novice to train travel. If you're going to have a bit of a wait whatever you do, Termini is a much nicer station to wait in than Tiburtina.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Italy
Italy
Europe
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

What a relef that bvlenc has the uncanny ability to read my mind and put words in my mouth!

Of course I would pay 7 Euros extra and take the Intercity train from Roma Termini rather than risk missing the connection and having to wait a long time for the next regionale train (whether from Termini or from Tiburtina).

And of course would save the 7 Euros and take the cheaper unreserved regionale train, if I could do so predictably and conveniently.

And of course I would prefer to have a long connection at Termini rather than a long connection at Tiburtina.

And I also wager that a Trenitalia ticket agent at the FCO Airport train station is likely to recommend the connection to the cheaper regionale train, if the schedules are compliant.

Remember too that the LdaV airport train to Termini is nearly twice the fare of the FR1 to Tiburtina, so the cost savings of connecting at Tiburtina is greater than only 7 Euros. And the FR1, whle slower than the LdaV train, is twice as frequent from Monday through Saturday.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

Just want to say thanks to all of you for your help and advice, will try taking the train as you all suggest (I don't seem to have any other option)! so fingers crossed I make it ok!!!

Joan from Dublin

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
7. Re: Travel to Spoleto from Da Vinci Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:16