We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

SF bay area
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

My daughter and I will be staying in Spoleto for two nights in October. Many of the reviewed hotels sound appealing, but it is not clear to me which ones have easy access to the new escalators. Stairs and uphill climbs are difficult for me, so this will be a deciding point for our hotel, which must also have a lift. And we will need convenient parking for our rental car. Are some of the Hotels (e.g. Charleston) in a relatively flat area of the Historic Center? This would also work. We would like to stay in the Historic center where we can walk to good restaurants, shops, and points of interest.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Province of Perugia, Italy
Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

None of the hotels are within really easy access of the escalators from memory and even if they are they still require some level of walk. I also can't help on if they have lifts. Central Spoleto is quite hilly but you can minimise this by walking laterally. I would stay as near the top of the town as possible. The Aurora (not sure about parking but within easy distance of the main underground carpark which has an elevator to nearby Piazza Liberta) is possibly the most central and with easiest access to restaurants. Palazzo Leti (lovely and has parking) could work - it is at the top of the town so downhill walk to dinner but only around 50 metres - although uphill home. The Charlston is midway up in a quiet square but requires a walk to decent restaurants. On the bright side it is a fairly compact area. If you are very limited in movement you might find the town a challenge.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

Since posting I have read reviews of Aurora and unless it has a ground floor room may not be suitable for you as it has steps. Just thought of Dei Duchi. This is a central but modern hotel. It has rooms with disabled access so presumably either ground floor or lift. It gets good reviews and is only about 75 metres further out than the Aurora. It has parking too.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Dei Duchi
Hotel Dei Duchi
611 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

Good morning motherhen2, I've born in Spoleto and lived there for 40 years with some breaks abroad. The elevator starting and ending point does not guarantee easy access to all the tourist sites and the nearest accomodation below (San Ponziano and Hotel Due Porte) are still 300 to 400 mt. distance away with parking a bit arranged. I reckon the best solution would be the Hotel Dei Duchi which has private parking by the entrance and is located closer to the main attraction

(50 mt. to the Roman Anphitheatre, 70 to the Archeological Museum entrance, 150 to Piazza del Mercato and Arco di Druso,

200 to the Casa Romana, 220 to the Pinacoteca, 300 to the Duomo and 400 to the Rocca).

Using the elevator you'll be nearer only to the Duomo, the Rocca and theTower Bridge.

The easiest way to walk to the sites n. 3,4,5 and 6 listed are via Corso Mazzini turning left at the middle point - it could be slippery only if wet, iced or wearing leather shoes rather than rubber shoes, but primarly you'll just need not to rush-.

In this area there are numerous restaurants and eateries, boutique and souvenir shops.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Hotel Dei Duchi
Hotel Dei Duchi
611 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Arco
Arco
Province of Trento, Italy
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

Hotel Clarici is also within flat walking distance of the bottom of the escalators, but I don't know whether it has an elevator, nor parking arrangements.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Clarici
Hotel Clarici
211 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

i would not recommend the Clarici for the location by big street intersection, very busy all day and evening and approx 400 mt distance from the escalator bottom.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

Another possibility is the luxurious Cavaliere Palace Hotel, Corso Garibaldi 49, not far from the bottom of town and within walking distance of the bottom of the escalators. However, the Hotel Due Porte is by far the closest hotel to the escalators.

SF bay area
Level Contributor
71 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses! I will book at the Dei Duchi, which is very well-reviewed. (I would not have chosen that one without your guidance.)

Now I need to brush-up on my Italian... I've been taking lessons on and off for years, but am still not fluent.

Va bene! Mille Grazie! Molto Piacere! OK?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Dei Duchi
Hotel Dei Duchi
611 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

You're welcome motherhen2.

The Hotel Due Porte owners are friends of mine and i'm glad if they get more business; however their parking area is quite small and limited, no spot is guaranteed and you need to leave your car keys at reception so they can move cars around when needed. They get more visitors who are travelling by train, as the station is only 4 bus stops away.

At Hotel Dei Duchi, ask for a room looking towards the hospital "logge" (porticoes) which overlooks the southern side of the town, great panoramic view.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Dei Duchi
Hotel Dei Duchi
611 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
9. Re: Spoleto hotel with easy access to escalator?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 17:15