We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Rental Car from Rome to Spoleto

Darien, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Train or Rental Car from Rome to Spoleto

We are flying into Rome then traveling to Spoleto for a week. Is it easier to rent a car at the airport or take the train to Spoleto and rent a car there or a nearby town? I realize that the car rentals are closed in the middle of the day, but we arrive around 10 am. Also what train is the best from the airport to Rome, then Rome to Spoleto?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Train or Rental Car from Rome to Spoleto

I rented a car at FCO a few years ago and drove to Spoleto. It was not too difficult and it was the first time I actually drove in Italy! So I would recommend doing it. You could take a train from the airport into Rome (termini) and catch a local train to Spoleto, it would take a few hours depending on the connection. To answer your question...yes, it would be easier to rent the car at the airport. Drive time to Spoleto will be around 1 1/2 to 2 hours...depending!

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,730 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Train or Rental Car from Rome to Spoleto

The cost by train ranges from 16 to 30 euros per person, depending on the trains you take. The time is a little more than two hours, depending on how long you have to wait for a connection at either Termini or Tiburtina station.

The estimated driving time on viamichelin.com is two hours, and the estimated cost of fuel and tolls is 31 euros.

The drive is not usually difficult, and once you're out of Rome there are usually no traffic delays. Anyway, the traffic would be going in the other direction in the morning. The train ride is quite nice and scenic most of the way, although the best scenery comes after Spoleto, when you get nearer Le Marche!

In my opinion, it's a tossup. Either way would be fine, so do whatever suits you best.

3. Re: Train or Rental Car from Rome to Spoleto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 13:17