We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

San Antonio, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

How easy convenient is it to take a train from the airport to Umbria? We are senior citizens who will have two or more large pieces of luggage each. Is it necessary to use stairs in the stations? Where is luggage stored on the trains? Is it necessary to lift luggage overhead?

We would appreciate comments from anyone who has done this lately.

United States
Level Contributor
10,057 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

There are no stairs in FCO or Termini station except those into the train cars which are steep. You will have to lift your luggage into the train cars. There is a rack for large cases either at one end of the car or in the center depending on what car configuration you have. Smaller cases can be put between two seat backs if there is room. Otherwise, you need to put them above your heads or under you seat. If there is an empty seat next to you, you can use that if your case isn't dirty.

There will probably be stairs to/from platforms in Umbria stations but you didn't specify where you would be going in Umbria. People familiar with Umbria stations could better help you with more information.

There are some photos of storage options at the end of this article.

…blogspot.it/2010/08/reading-italian-train-t…

TAB

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,988 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

If you will head for Spoleto, there is no alternative to trains - note that one train change is required, at either Rome's Termini or Tiburtina stations, see www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

In case you are going to Perugia or Assisi, however, there are e few direct buses from the airport: http://www.sulga.it/orari/perugia_roma.pdf

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,023 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

For travel by train, it is essential that you do not have more luggage than you can *comfortably* handle by yourselves. There is nobody to help you at the stations, there may be stairs to the platforms, and there are always a few steep steps up into the train.

You need to re-think your plans about the amount of luggage you will have.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 06:54
Berrien Springs
Level Contributor
9 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

train travel to there is easy, but i can't recommend enough to travel with just one cary on and a bag! You WILL be so very glad not to be dragging your belongings everywhere. Bring layers and clothes that you can mix and match, wash once!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

You can either take the Leonardo Express train from Fiumicino to Termini station, or the suburban R train to Rome Tiburtina, and change at one of those for the same train to Spoleto - which is not specified in your question title or question but I am making an assumption based on placement in Spoleto forum.

See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194924-i2362-k466… for detailed information on stairs etc., bearing in mind that the situation after the fire in 2011 has gone back to normal.

In my opinion, you can't possibly manage TWO OR MORE (!) large pieces of luggage per person. For your own good, you need to cut this down!

Spoleto station is about 1 km outside the town. You'll probably want to take a taxi, especially if you have too much luggage.

Dublin
Level Contributor
195 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

(Before anyone reads this post and thinks I am criticising Italian railways etc - let me tell you that Spoleto is my most favourite place ever, and my holidays in Italy absolutely wonderful).

On your query it is very do-able to travel by train from FCO to Umbria but it is not easy. The easy bit is getting from the airport to Termini. Getting from Termini to Spoleto (Umbria) can be more difficult. Termini is big and can be complicated. I think Spoleto is only on the Termini - Ancona line - so on electronic noticeboards you have to watch for in Termini are for Termini - Ancona rather than Termini Spoleto. Some of the trains to Spoleto also take off from railway annex's within Termini which can be hard to find if you are non local. You also need to validate your tickets in (yellow?) boxes on the platforms before your train leaves. Getting onto the trains involve lugging your luggage up the steep steps onto the train. With regional accents know your train route well because it can be difficult to figure out, from train public announcements, what the next station is. If I had either the confidence or the money I would either hire a car or a driver to collect me from the airport and bring me to Umbria. Saying all that it is a magical place. Hope this posting is of some help. G

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

I have made the trip from the airport to Spoleto. The main Rome termini is HUGE and the train to Spoleto is in an annex which add what seemed like miles to the walk. If you are heading to Perugia, on the other hand, you can find a direct bus at the airport that places you at the foot of an escalator for the ride up to the "old town". I agree with other travelers: ONE suitcase and a large handbag. I packed one large suitcase for a nine week trip and after 2 1/2 weeks I took out half my stuff and shipped it home. On and off trains(steep steps) and stations where you had to run down one set of steps and up another to get to a different platform was murder. I was lucky that sometimes a young man or woman would offer to help, but you can't count on that. Remember, no one will notice your 5th pair of shoes,(wear the heavy pair and pack sandels or sneakers). Forget high heels!!! Wear mostly black (hides dirt) buy a couple of bright scarves in Italy to "dress up". Layer--

unzip the lining of a winter jacket and leave it at home; use the jacket as a raincoat. If it is cold use a long sleeve sweater over a tank or t-shirt and turtleneck instead of the lining. Take nylon undies that will dry overnight--my friend takes her oldest and throws them away during the trip. My packing for 3 weeks: Pants: wear one, take 2....Tops: wear 1, take mix of 7-8 short & long sleeve....Shoes: wear the walking shoes, pack 1.....socks: 5 pair

Jackets: Wear your "blazer" or zip sweater under your "rain jacket": pack a spare warm item. Pack a couple of the nice paper totes that we use at the grocery store....lightweight and useful for shopping or to bring back fragile items purchased as carry on. Bring large ziplocks. You can get anything you need in Italy including most over the counter drugs, Remember..you are not camping in the Amazon. I have been to Italy several times and LOVE it. I learned that keeping it simple improves the experience!!!!

Spoleto, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

Hi there, I am an American and I live in Spoleto over five years now. The prior post are correct with the trains going from the Airport leonardo Express to Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina. The track at Tiburtina is usually track one but EAST... all the way in the back... ALL THE WAY. When I have too many bags which is usually 2 times a years I have too many, I pay for a shuttle to get me from the Airport to Roma Termini. It is more money but I am usually traveling with my daughter now 12 YOA and usually 4 huge bags and 2 carry on's... a real disaster but that is how we get our American food and clothes supplies back to our village here. Then I pay $15 for a tax from the Spoleto train station up the hill to near the castle where we live.

9. Re: Trains from Fiumacino airport to Umbria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 14:15