We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing a hotel

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
choosing a hotel

We are trying to decide whether to investigate the Hotel San Luca or the Hotel Palazzo Leti. We want to be within walking distance to sights. One seems to be on one side of town, the other, on the other side of the village. Any comments? We are in our late 50's and our experienced travelers. Either side of town better? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel San Luca
Hotel San Luca
475 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Palazzo Leti Residenza D'Epoca
Palazzo Dragoni
Palazzo Dragoni
#2 of 27 hotels in Spoleto
Hotel San Luca
Hotel San Luca
#3 of 27 hotels in Spoleto
Dublin
Level Contributor
195 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing a hotel

I have been in Spoleto on numerous occasions and I don't think it makes much diffference which side of the historic centre you are based. Spoleto is absolutely gorgeous and wonderful, but as a hilltown your visit there will entail much uphill and downhill walking whatever hotel you choose. I'm not so sure about Hotel San Luca but I have stayed in Hotel Palazzo Leti and can tell you that there is a steep walk up to it. I mostly have stayed in Hotel Aurora which is absolutely grand but if money was less of an object I believe i would stay in Hotel Dei Duchi (which is on the flat at the top of the town). In your visit to Spoleto you are in for an absollute treat. G

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Province of Perugia, Italy
Hotel San Luca
Hotel San Luca
475 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Hotel Dei Duchi
Hotel Dei Duchi
611 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing a hotel

Spoleto is our favorite spot in Italy! We stayed at the San Luca on our first trip there and it is very nice. However, it is at the bottom of the town just inside the old city wall and it is truly a pain to have to climb up to the 'old town center' where the sites, shopping, and restaurants are located! Stay at the Palazzo Dragoni! It is on the level you will want to be on to take advantage of the towns charms and sights. Select a room with a view! The views are drop dead stunning! The room with the poster bed is HUGE...as are some of the others. The owners are a wonderful couple...and wait til you have breakfast. You will be asked if you would like an omelet...say YES! Do not miss having dinner at Tempio del Gusto! It is one of the finest restaurants in Italy...really. Ooooh, I wish we were going to Spoleto this year...alas.

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Italy
Italy
Europe
Hotel San Luca
Hotel San Luca
475 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Palazzo Dragoni
Palazzo Dragoni
166 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
Tempio del Gusto
Tempio del Gusto
2,281 Reviews
Spoleto, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing a hotel

You guys speak so well of Spoleto, so I have another question. We have about 5 days to explore this area and were going to stay in Spoleto one night, Perugia 2, Montalcino for 2. Should we switch this around to do 2 nights in Spoleto and one in either Perugia or Montalcino?

Mentioned in this post
Spoleto
Spoleto
Perugia
Perugia
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choosing a hotel

My thoughts of Italy is that it is 'all' good...and I don't know exactly what you want to experience and see. Will you have a car? Perugia is more of a city, university town, and has a smallish but interesting 'old town'. So if I was also visiting Rome or Florence, or some other city...I might pass on Perugia, or at most spend one night there. (But that is me!) Montalcino is in Tuscany, a quaint hilltown, and is surrounded by wine country. If you want to drive around and visit other hill towns (Pienza?) and wineries it sounds OK...some people see it as a daytrip? It just depends on what you want to see and experience.

We've been to Spoleto a few times. Every time we've been there we have been fortunate enough to catch 1 or 2 local musical events...and were floored and touched by each porformance. The restaurants are all above average...Umbrian food is the greatest! We have become quite familiar with the streets, sites, restaurants, shops, and the people or Spoleto...which makes it nice to revisit. One thing we love about the town is that it is not overrun with tourists. With maybe the exception being during the Music Festival...which we have never been to. So yes we love Spoleto, and really look forward to going back. However this year we will be doing Florence, the Tuscany Coast, and Rome. Umbria is special...and with the exception of Assisi, not many tourists! We usually stay 4-5 nights, and do a daytrip or two on the local train. Once we had a rental car and we enjoyed using it to get to nearby hilltowns. Have a great vacation...its hard not to in Italy!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Perugia
Perugia
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Spoleto
Spoleto
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Assisi
Assisi
New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: choosing a hotel

Thanks so much. You sound like the kind of travelers we are. Yes we will have a car and I am a garden lover and usually research "must see" gardens so that also influences where we go. We have done Rome and Florence (we were in Rome this past Sept) so don't have to do more cities, but have heard Perugia is worth seeing. I hope that isn't hype. Have to read more obviously. We've also done Tuscany and loved it so that's why we want to spend aother day or 2 a little west of Umbria. Just so hard to get it all in! Will be in Orvieto too, as that is our first stop after we fly into Rome. Love your comments. Keep them coming if you're so inclined. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Perugia
Perugia
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
6. Re: choosing a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 13:16