We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in volterra and attarctions

malta
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
parking in volterra and attarctions

we shall be spending a day in Volterra on Monday 17th July and shall be driving from Siena.

Is there a ZTL ( restricted parking) in Volterra like Pisa and Siena please? Which is the best and safe place to park the car outside the walls in order to avoid this historic centre or possible ZTL (restricted parking) and parking fines please?

I was going to visit most of the following if we manage in this day : Palazzo Viti, Palazzo dei Priori, Piazza dei Priori, Cathedral (Duomo), Porta all’Arco, Museum of Torture, Ecomuseo dell'Alabastro

Volterra Baptistery of San Giovanni, Pinacoteca e Museo Civico, and Fortezza Medicea. Are there any other interesting areas which we have left out?

Please advise

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Palazzo Viti
Palazzo Viti
329 Reviews
Volterra, Italy
12 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
612 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: parking in volterra and attarctions

Peggy Patch is correct. Agriturismos are outside of the town. You would need to drive to reach these. However, several restaurants in the town focus on being completely local.

Enoteca del Duca is attached to a farm and vineyard. Much of their menu comes from their farm or nearby farms and they even offer wine that they make. Their goal is to have food be "0 kilometer." Their prices are slightly higher, but it well worth it for the unique takes on local food and the lovely garden.

La Carabaccia is a restaurants that is so local and fresh, they only offer two primi and two secondi options each day. Menu changes frequently with what is available. Antipasti of caprese or melon and proscuitto are available in the summer. They have a very nice terrace, but go early or late to get a spot.

Osteria dei Poeti is also very good. They have a menu that focuses on regional cuisine with a twist (duck with spinach germlings, pork and aged cheese sauce) Special menus reflect was is seasonally available.

Look for restaurants that make their pastas. Pappardelle alla Cinghiale is a local dish with wide flat noodles and braised boar. You will also see Cinghiale as a steak (delicious). Pasta stuffed with pears and sheep's cheese is also a local dish - Don Beta prepares their version with a butter and sage sauce that makes it like a dessert.

For a nice appertivo, check out VoltaterraGusto. The owner also has an agriturismo just outside of town. He has local and regional wines and local produce (located close to Piazza Priori)

To answer the bakery question - my favorite bread shop is located next to the community library with a little red awning. Its where most locals buy bread for the week. For pastries, L'Incontro is loved by visitors and locals alike. Try the Brutti ma Buoni (ugly but good) cookies here or the enormous meringues. With your coffee, there is a folded over puff pastry with apple jam that is delicious. I also like their gelato - Penguino - Mascarpone and Nutella. The main gelato spot is Isola del Gusto. It has won several awards in Tuscany and, as a bonus, their store is safe for Celiacs.

Mentioned in this post
La Carabaccia
La Carabaccia
528 Reviews
Volterra, Italy
Don Beta
Don Beta
899 Reviews
Volterra, Italy
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
612 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: parking in volterra and attarctions

Also - I meant to add this earlier. The torture museum is one of my least favorite activities in Volterra. With two adults, I would rather see the other things you listed especially if you are tighter on time.

Do not park in the parking lot at Seminario Vescovile di Sant'Andrea. It is for residents only. There has been an issue recently with tourists parking there and getting ticketed.

Reply to: parking in volterra and attarctions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted