We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet on the Lake - Stevensville

Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Chalet on the Lake - Stevensville

Anyone know anything about this place? I can't find any recent reviews and the website is not great. When I checked online there was no availability, when I called there was one unit. So I'm wondering if it's fully booked if it can't be that bad? Nowhere else has availability near there for the week that I'm looking for in July.

3 replies to this topic
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet on the Lake - Stevensville

Yes.

Stayed there about 6-7 years ago for 2 nites.

I tried to review it back then and TA wouldn't allow it saying it was a vacation rental...

Anyway, basically, it's a development on lake michigan, about 10-15 minutes south of st joe.... each A-frame is a duplex.... many of the units are privately owned, and the management rents them out.... we stayed in one about halfway towards the lake, so the nightly rate was on the lower end.... even so, i felt the nightly rate was a bit pricey-----since they're privately owned, some haven't been updated since the 70's or 80's, like the one we stayed in... neverthless, it was clean and adequate for our family of 4 (2 adults/2 young kids).... the bedrooms were in the loft, and the kitchen/dining/bathroom was on the main floor..... for bigger families, a single unit will be a tight squeeze.... the beach was mediocre for michigan standards, but st joe is close.... if you can score one close to the lake (you'll pay dearly), the views are very nice...

Even tho it seems like i'm giving it a mixed "review", i like to recommend chalet in this forum because it's a decent alternative to the overpriced hotels in st joe, plus it has self catering capability....

Another similar-type resort in the area is gintaras resort... but i think they require a 1 week minimum stay.... and up in south haven, check the sun n sand resort... it's not on lake michigan, but the rates are more reasonable, and there are a few self catering units.... and if that's a no-go, then we've stayed in the bluewater inn in grand haven----location is stellar, right across from the beach.... and the beachway resort in saugatuck is great too, but it's a bit pricey...

Good luck and please let us know what you come up with!

Edited: 23 June 2017, 05:01
Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet on the Lake - Stevensville

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I went ahead and booked for 2 nights, because I really can't find much that doesn't require a week stay or isn't costing a fortune! We were looking for a quick weekend get away for my husband's birthday, somewhere not too far from Chicago and low key. We will have young kids with us so nothing fancy. I like that they have the pool and a playground. We will see!! I was just super nervous since we can't find reviews! I will let you know how it is!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet on the Lake - Stevensville

i'm sure it'll be fine.

the unit **might** be a little dated (or, it could be fully updated--let us know!), but if all you need is a place to sleep and have breakfast, it'll serve the purpose.... also, it's nice to have a coupla outdoor pools onsite, tho, when we were there, one of the pools was closed....

Reply to: Chalet on the Lake - Stevensville
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Berrien County