We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base City for SMS and Beaches

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
224 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Base City for SMS and Beaches

We would like to visit both SMS as well as some of the more famous Normandy Beach battle locations/museum/monuments. Can anyone suggest a good base city to stay in that also has interesting old town locations. We would arrive Paris and then hopefully take a train west towards SMS. It looks like to me Rennes would be quite aways away from SMS or the beaches. St. Malo looks like it might work?

6 replies to this topic
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base City for SMS and Beaches

You mean MSM.

St.malo would work fine for MSM and is a very interesting city in itself, but you will be about 2 hours' drive from Bayeux (it's a similar drive-time from Rennes). Unfortunately there's no getting around the fact that MSM and Bayeux are about 2 hours apart.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
224 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base City for SMS and Beaches

I sure did mean MSM, I'm so sorry and meant no disrespect at all. Just a stupid mistake on my part.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base City for SMS and Beaches

No need to apologise. I only corrected you because I thought your post hadn't attracted many replies, probably because no-one knew where SMS was ;-)

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base City for SMS and Beaches

It really depends on what comes before and after. We drove from CDG to MSM spending the night and touring MSM the next day. It is a 90 minute drive to Bayeux. We used Bayeux for our tour of Normandy. We spent two nights. Night one was after MSM. Night two was after a full day of touring Normandy. We did a custom private tour with Overlord Tours which was well worth the money. Realistically you probably can see Omaha, Pointe du Hoc, the American Cemetery and museum complex at Sainte-Mère-Église on your own in one day if you have a good map. Bayeux is an interesting city and is easy to tour. We departed Bayeux on day three back to Paris.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base City for SMS and Beaches

SMS = text message.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base City for SMS and Beaches

Bayeux

You need a whole day just to see half the zone, so you need to be based close to the beaches.

MSM is 1.5 hours away so you can get there and back with the visit in a day.

If you dont have a car you can ake the churhill or Bayeux shuttle to MSM. You can book a minibus tour or private guide for the beaches from Bayeux.

Reply to: Base City for SMS and Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mont-Saint-Michel