We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel - Driving versus indirect Eurostars

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Travel - Driving versus indirect Eurostars

Hi,

I'm currently agonizing over our journey to DLP - outbound 24/3/18, return either 31/3 by train or 1/4 by car.

When we went before we drove, but stayed in Kent both ways to break the journey. This time if we drive its the full trip in a day both ways, 7 to 9+ hours depending on traffic and queues at Passport control to get back in! We think that on the way back when we are tired and depressed that our holiday is over this will be a horrible journey.

We are considering train - changing at Lille both ways. Total journey time 5:30 each way allowing an hour for check-in / passport control.

Car has advantage of unlimited luggage. If we train we will have 1 very heavy big case, 1 medium case and 1 small case + backpacks to lug around with us. Our children are 8&4 are not used to travelling by train, so physically getting on an off will be a challenge.

I am especially concerned that we may get allocated seats on the upper deck of the TGV and struggle to get our luggage up the stairs, is there anyway to ensure that you get lower deck seats?

I would welcome any tips, suggestions or advice you may have.

Thank you,

Julsie

Mentioned in this post
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
TGV
TGV
1,312 Reviews
Paris, France
4 replies to this topic
Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel - Driving versus indirect Eurostars

Are you a couple and do you share the driving?

I’ve done similar length of total drive. Indeed when I go to my in laws in Brittany via the tunnel it takes us 10-12 hours, but we tend to stop a few times and reasonable time for lunch.

At the end of the day only you can know if you think it’s okay for you, ut I would drive over train unless the train was mega cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel - Driving versus indirect Eurostars

we have done the train in the past, 2 adults and 3 children, one still in a pushchair. we all carried a back pack (well not the 18 month old child!) and then managed with one suitcase. Is there any way you could cut down on luggage to make it more doable via train? if not then I think I would drive as that amount of luggage with quick on and offs at Lille you are going to feel stressed.

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel - Driving versus indirect Eurostars

Hi Julsie2016, it really is down to personal choice, there's plus and negative for both options. I have travelled by both car and train but I've never done the change over at Lille or a journey as long as yours.

The train journey can be effortless although we did have a problem on the direct service in December due to having our cases in our foot space due to an overcrowd of luggage on the train.

Driving in your own car has its advantages that you can just stop off when you please to stretch your legs, you can pack what you like etc, I think the biggest thing for you is the journey home. Do you plan to spend the day in the park on your last day before the big drive? Is there more than one driver so you can swap over half way through the journey?

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel - Driving versus indirect Eurostars

Thanks everyone, I've agonised for so long that the before and after hotels I wanted are fully booked, so we've gone with train, direct out and changing at Lille on the way back to maximize the time we will have there as traveling on our first and last Disney days now. Going to have to be strict on luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Reply to: Travel - Driving versus indirect Eurostars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted