We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Dingle Way by foot

Concord, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
The Dingle Way by foot

Hello,

I am planning to walk the Dingle Way, or at least a large portion of it, in August 2017. I have read some reviews that state I should start in Camp rather than Tralee as that portion has less fantastic views. Since I plan to walk the trail and am traveling alone, I am hoping you can help me answer the following questions:

1. Is it relatively safe to travel The Dingle Way alone? Are the trails well traveled, marked, and maintained? Is it very easy to get lost?

2. Any recommendations on a walking/hiking company that can book hotel/B&B along the way? I have only found one, Hillwalk Tours.

3. I have heard a bit about the Mount Brandon portion of the trail not being very safe, should I skip this portion if I am going solo?

Thank you for any information you can provide. Also, if you have any tips for places nearby that are a "must-see" I would really appreciate it if you would share as well. I am really looking forward to exploring beautiful Ireland!

15 replies to this topic
Amherst...
Level Contributor
39 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Dingle Way by foot

Alexandra, my husband and I are starting our walk in Tralee on August 8th. If these are your dates, we might meet up. Good luck! Kathy

Amherst...
Level Contributor
39 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Dingle Way by foot

Alexandra, my husband and I are starting our walk in Tralee on August 8th. If these are your dates, we might meet up. Good luck! Kathy

Amherst...
Level Contributor
39 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Dingle Way by foot

The OS map 70 and 71. Can these be bought in Tralee? Not sure if I can buy them in the U.S.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Dingle Way by foot

Yes they are readily avaiilable in Tralee

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Dingle Way by foot

I can highly recommend Hillwalk Tours for a self guided walk. They will arrange your lodging and luggage transfers and provide you with a walking pack that includes very specific trail directions, suggestions for meals, information on local history as well as the necessary maps. They will also provide you with all needed emergency numbers and transportation information. We used them for the Kerry Way in May and are already planning our next Ireland walk using their excellent services.

Reply to: The Dingle Way by foot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dingle
Recent Conversations