We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Dingle (Town)?

United States
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Dingle (Town)?

We are planning on staying in Ballyferriter for four nights when we arrive in Ireland, and I am wondering if a stay in the town of Dingle itself is important if we want to have the true Dingle experience. Am I right in thinking that we would be plenty close to explore the town of Dingle just by being within a half-hour's drive of it?

With a limited number of days in our schedule, I am just wondering if we should move on to Doolin after the four days in the Ballyferriter area . . . Also, would Dingle be a good base for exploring the rest of Kerry -- or if we plan to visit Cork and Cobh should we plan on just traveling to that area for a stay? In the area in which we live in the States, we are used to driving a 100 miles to get somewhere, but I'm sensing that traveling in Ireland, just due to the topography alone, may impact how one interprets the miles. Thanks for any input. I know that I must sound pretty ignorant.

5 replies to this topic
Southampton
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Dingle (Town)?

Dingle's not a great base to explore the rest of kerry as its a half an hour drive at least to get off the peninsula. Killarney would be a better option fo me.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,242 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Dingle (Town)?

I like ballyferriter, it's very small but has a couple of decent pubs and is in a beautiful area west of Dingle, it is a strong Irish speaking area, you will hear it a lot. There is enough to do on the peninsula for at least a week, but it is not a base for day trips to the rest of Kerry,and certainly not cork or cobh. Look at your map, it takes an hour each way to get off the peninsula, (I know, I make a point of doing it once a year) ,. two extra hours driving the same bit of road each day really eats into your day.

United States
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Dingle (Town)?

Thank you so much. Your note regarding how much time getting off and on the peninsula takes is really helpful. I am really just a novice at trying to map all of this out, and I appreciate the on-the-ground wisdom.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,368 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Dingle (Town)?

Define "the true Dingle experience" ? you might find you don't need to be in Dingle or even on Dingle to get what you envisage.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,719 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Dingle (Town)?

What time of the year will you be visiting ? Ballyferriter is a very small village and would be very , very quiet over the winter .

The main reason I'd choose Dingle over the likes of Ballyferriter / Dún Chaoin or Ventry would be that there would obviously be a far bigger amount of places to eat and drink in the town , of course .

If you have someone who is willing not to drink and happy to drive in and out , then Ballyferriter would be lovely .

Reply to: Staying in Dingle (Town)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dingle
Recent Conversations