We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dingle, a waste of a day

Troy
Level Contributor
216 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Dingle, a waste of a day

My husband and I just returned from 15 days in Ireland. It was a wonderful trip with a few exceptions. After reading about how wonderful Dingle was we spent one of our days driving here from Kenmare. The drive was beautiful but Dingle was a huge disappointment. We walked all over and kept waiting for the charm I had read about but it never appeared. I just couldn't see what all the fuss is about. We should have gone to the Gap of Dunloe instead.

62 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

It isn't the town, it's the area west of town, Slea head, I would never suggest anyone comes for the town and doesn't go back west.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

Dingle is a peninsula.

I always advocate - weather permitting - going to Dingle via the Conor Pass and back via Inch Beach, preferably at sunset. The town is pleasant, but it is the Slea Head Drive that Fuchsia mentions, which is the attraction for us. It is a gorgeous drive and one we love.

Southampton
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

Indeed, we had a great day driving beyond Dingle town itself. Loved the area around Smerwick Harbour.

Mind you, we also enjoyed Dingle town too!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

There was an interesting programme on TnaG (the Irish Language station) last night about Viking place names in Ireland. Smerwick is one of the remaining Viking place names :o)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

That's a shame , though as others have said , the town is the gateway to the wonderful " back west" but I like the town too.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

Did you go into the Diseart and places like the Little Gallery/Gailearai and the aquarium and out the marina and walk to the mouth of the harbour, visit the Distillery , drop into somewhere like Foxy John's , Lisbeth Mulcahy , the weaver , the Café Literatha book shop? Not to mention Murphy's Ice Cream, the Seaglass studio , Green Lane gallery and so on? How long were you there ?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

Did you go back west at all? if not, it is such a shame you missed it.

That is like looking at the Sistine Chapel from the outside and saying 'what paintings?'

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,837 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

"Smerwick is one of the remaining Viking place names". Bean, I am very proud to report that my adopted home town of Leixlip also bears a good old Viking name meaning "Salmon Leap" (old Norse: Lax Hlaup).

chacha, I am sorry that you felt Dingle town was a disappointment. To me it's still one of the best places in Ireland to go to. Lovely shops, great restaurants, fabulous pubs, fantastic live Irish music. And yes, great atmosphere. Maybe the Gap of Dunloe might have been better for you but you probably would have been disappointed there, too.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,510 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

Thank you for sharing a fair and open opinion, unfortunately there might be a very limited number on this and the Rick Steves forum that won't think you are as delusional as I am.

As said elsewhere I am pleased that just one disappointment didn't tarnish your overall experience.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dingle, a waste of a day

Fascinating Clauds. Salmon Leap sounds much nicer than pouting vegetables :o)

That programme last night was really interesting. We only stumbled upon it by accident.

Reply to: Dingle, a waste of a day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dingle
Recent Conversations