We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunset Dingle Peninsula

hamden
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
sunset Dingle Peninsula

Hi everyone, I'm looking for opinions on the best place to see sunset on the Dingle Peninsula. I read through some of the older posts and most people were commenting on Slea Head and Inch Beach as prime spots. Any other ideas? Or how about sunrise instead? Staying in Dingle town for about 4 days starting July 22nd. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunset Dingle Peninsula

In late July, the sun is going rise in the North-East, so you'll want to be on the far side of the peninsula for that. Somewhere like Brandon Point would seem ideal, but having never been there for the sunrise, I can't swear as to it's suitability.

Sunset will be in the North-West. Somewhere on the Slea Head drive north of Coumeenole Bead is best. You'd need to find somewhere to park up and may want to walk a short distance towards the sea. I wouldn't go for Inch as the sun there would just be setting behind the mountains until late September.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunset Dingle Peninsula

The ideal spot for sunset at that time of year is on the Slea Head route at Dooneen Pier near Gorman's B&B and the Old Pier Restaurant and watch the sun go down over the Three Sisters.

As Blackgreen has said sunrise from Brandon Point would be an option, although I have seen beautiful sunrises driving eastwards towards Inch. The dunes at the back of Inch Beach will give you an esterly aspect, but it will be an early start

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunset Dingle Peninsula

At the moment sunrise is 05.30am and sunset at 22.00, I havent seen dark for quite a while. Although we do have the lights on at the moment as it is thick fog out there ;-(

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,692 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunset Dingle Peninsula

Am with the Dooneen Pier suggestion, though I also like Cuas at sunset (it's the place from where St. Brendan is said to have sailed to "discover" America and is knon as Brandon Creeek- not to be confused with Brandon Point!

saintsandstones.net/saints-brandon-journey.h…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,692 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunset Dingle Peninsula

Oh and Fuschia, we are heading down soon, so please ensure the weather improves :)

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunset Dingle Peninsula

For anyone interested, today the fog was so thick I even abandoned the daily walk on the beach with the dog,. I thought I might lose him!

No sunrise or sunset.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,692 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunset Dingle Peninsula

Friends in Waterville at present and much the same there today . Lovely day here in the sunny south east , bar horse flies! Other friends on Valentia for a trip to Skellig am, hope they get to land .

All set for the trip to Dingle , I think . Have fleece /rain jacket/ sun cream and togs packed as well as light reading and some Writer's Tears . Bring it on !!!

Reply to: sunset Dingle Peninsula
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dingle
Recent Conversations