We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Hello! My husband and I and the kids (8 and 11) are planning a river cruise on the Shannon. Thus far, the only one-way cruise we could find would go from Clondra to Ballinamore. We were kind of hoping on heading from Carrick-on-Shannon down towards Clonmacnoise, but that would only be possible with a return voyage, and from what I hear getting down Lough Ree can take awhile and be fraught with bad weather.

Does anyone have any information on how scenic the route from Clondra to the north is? Or about the local fishing, or any family activities there?

Another question would be, if I dropped the car in Ballinamore, how could I make my way to Clondra? It seems to be about one hour drive and the only buses there were to Longford seem to have been cancelled. Anyone have any ideas where I could park the car and get a bus or train to Longford, from where the boat rental guy says I could get a taxi without too much trouble.

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Carrick-on-Shannon
Carrick-on-Shannon
County Leitrim, Ireland
Clonmacnoise
Clonmacnoise
834 Reviews
County Offaly, Ireland
9 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Why would Lough Ree have any different weather than anywhere else on the Shannon? Emerald star run a Carrick on Shannon to Portumna one way.

emeraldstar.ie/destination/…the_celtic_cruise

Are you coming in your own car? One way tips can be a pain when it comes to getting back for a car you have dropped off and it would be cheaper to use the bus to and from the wharfs.

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Carrick-on-Shannon
Carrick-on-Shannon
County Leitrim, Ireland
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Thanks! Yes it does seem that the one-way is difficult... What I meant about Lough Ree is that with the speed of these boats (very slow) it might be difficult with windy weather (which they say often doesn't allow you to go onto the lakes) to get down through the lake and back up in time.

Emerald star doesn't have a boat for us that week, sadly, looks like we chose the week everyone else has!

Thanks anyway! any tips appreciated!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

If you type Ballinamore into the search bar on the Ireland forum page you will be directed to some links that might help.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Hi, on a Monday wednesday and Saturday bus eireann run bus number 463 from Carrigallen. To Longford and vica versa now Carrigallen is only a couple of km from Ballinamore, I live in Carrigallen and Ballinamore is my nearest place for my weekly shop so its not far at all.

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Thanks so uh. That's good to know... The boat service has found me a tai driver for only 50€, so we'll do that! Still looking for info on the river trip, though. Where is nice to dock, eat, bike, fish, etc.

Best,

Jennifer

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Hi Jennifer,

This brochure from Waterways Ireland - A taste of the Waterways: Favourite Places to Eat and Drink - might help you out:

waterwaysireland.org/uploads/…20brochure.pdf

(Be patient with the downloading; it's graphics heavy and took quite a time to finally appear in full).

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

This web site has a short description of the various villages and towns along the Shannon:

bargeconnection.com/ireland-places-to-visit.…

And, Tarmonbarry eating options are included here:

lonelyplanet.com/ireland/…76529

Mentioned in this post
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,060 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

This site might be of interest, set for me locally but easily explored

http://walks.iwai.ie/derg/mountshannon.shtml

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore

Beware emerald star charge 40% more for fuel, won't tell you in advance and will stop you refuelling with anyone else

Reply to: Shannon River Cruise from Clondra to Ballinamore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Leitrim