We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin or Ennis?

Which Doolin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
27 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Doolin or Ennis?

We're going to be driving up toward the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren from Dingle via Tralee, taking the ferry across. Which would be best for an afternoon and an overnight: Doolin or Ennis?

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

Bruach na Haille has been closed for a number of years and I would never have rated it as a gourmet restaurant.

Roadford House and Cullinans right in the town are as I stated in my opinion two of the best restaurants in all of county Clare.

The others are Gregans Castle at the Corkscrew Hill, Sheedys in Lisdoonvarna and Dromoland Castle. (For the record I do not have a association with any of these)

I have yet to come across a really good restaurant in Ennis (That does not serve Asian Food), apart from the Old Ground.

Doolin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

Bruach na Haille has been closed for a number of years and I would never have rated it as a gourmet restaurant.

Roadford Hse and Cullinans right in the town are as I stated in my opinion two of the best restaurants in all of county Clare.

The others are Gregans Castle at the Corkscrew Hill, Sheedys in Lisdoonvarna and Dromoland Castle. (For the record I do not have a association with any of these)

I have yet to come across a really good restaurant in Ennis (That does not serve Asian Food), apart from the Old Ground.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 01:42
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

Doolin for me anyway - by a long shot:)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

i agree with ferdia...doolin is not what it used to be but for your needs i would absolutely choose doolin of the two choices you gave....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

Personally I would take the Ferry and go see Loop Head, which is better than Moher anyway then spend the evening/night in Ennis.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

Agree with Tony. If you are are taking the ferry, go see the cliffs at Kilkee and Loop Head which are amazing, free, and not crowded with tourists. Then you've got an additional reason to skip Doolin, which we found to be a wide place in the road with just a bunch of B&Bs and 3 pubs populated by bus-loads of tourists.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

No Question - Doolin - Try the Doolin Hostel - Not what you think, more like a Guest House with Hostel Price- DOOLIN is way better. Don't drive to the Cliff's Walk the whole cliff's from the front door of the hostel - you'll love the town

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
27 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

Have made the trip now so have to put in my vote for Doolin. We stayed in Ennis but after driving through Doolin the next day, felt it would have been a better choice.

19. Re: Doolin or Ennis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 07:47
Get answers to your questions about Doolin
More Doolin Topics