We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activity advice on manta ray swimming or submarine

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
112 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Activity advice on manta ray swimming or submarine

I am headed to big island next week staying at Hapuna Prince though normally, the last three times i've stayed at the Mauna Lani.

I wanted to do an activity as i have some reward points from a card enough for one of these, so cost isn't the factor here. I am torn between a swim with manta rays or the submarine.

I

did do the submarine on my honeymoon years ago in bora bora. We loved it and where we went there the fish were abundant and lots to see.

I'm not sure where they go on the big island that it's the same and maybe more the experience of the sub, which we have done.

Manta ray swimming seems unique but i'm not really up for the night version, worry i'll be too skittish and won't enjoy it worrying about other creatures there at night! :)

So any thoughts on these two options, i would really appreciate it.

3 replies to this topic
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activity advice on manta ray swimming or submarine

I can't say that you won't enjoy the sub, but it's generally regarded here as pretty lame, something for small children. As it's close to my idea of hell to be stuck in a metal tube underwater with amsll children not my own, I would never do it. ;-)

The manta snorkel can only be at night. Isn't there a third thing to do?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
112 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activity advice on manta ray swimming or submarine

Okay good to know. Just two adults , no kids on this trip so i'll take your advice and skip the sub.

Also, good to know the manta ray is only at night.

I thought there was an offering of sunset or dusk not night that i could book.

As to third thing, because we have been many times and are mainly looking to sit and relax and enjoy the beauty of hawaii ... i guess it would be a boat trip to snorkel but not sure they are worth the money and i'm not an amazing swimmer so i don't like being dropped off in rough seas instead of snorkeling near shore in calmer waters, but i do love being on a boat on the water.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activity advice on manta ray swimming or submarine

The Mauna Lani Sea Adventures does a snorkel and a sunset sail in the Winona.

The mantas come because the lights the boats set up attract the plankton they feed on. The lights don't have the full effect until it is dark.

Snorkel tours by boat actually find calmer waters because they are out past the breakers. They're not going to drop you into swells and chop. A main advantage of them is to find more calm than from shore, at certain times of year when shore entry is difficult.

Reply to: Activity advice on manta ray swimming or submarine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast