We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

Lincoln, California
1 post
Save Topic
KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

My family of 10 are going to be staying in The KaMilo villas in February. Is there shuttle service from this location to the beach? We have small kids and I hear the walk is rocky. If there is no shuttle, can we bike there or golf cart there? How far from the resort and the beach is it exactly?

Appreciate any info you can give me!

6 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

How are you getting to KaMilo, and around the island?

~ Colleen

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

Well, there are several beaches within the Mauna Lani resort. The walk isn't "rocky" to any of them, or at least doesn't have to be, but it is probably going to be too far to most of them to be reasonable walking with beach gear and small children. Yes, you can easily bike or golf cart to all of them. The closest beaches to Ka Milo are the ones by the Fairmont - Holoholokai and Pauoa. Maybe a 15 minute walk on sidewalk.

There is an intraresort shuttle that picks up at the various complexes and goes to Makaiwa, the Fairmont, the Shops, the Mauna Lani hotel, but I'm not sure what the schedule is. I would check with the condo owner/management company.

It's a lot longer to Makaiwa or Honokaope, you'd definitely want to drive, bike, or take a shuttle. I don't know if the shuttle goes to Honokaope.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

How does the shuttle know people are guests? Just curious. I know that with the hotel shuttles, they are called for guests at the valet desk, and then they keep tabs of you eventually needing a return. Is this Resort shuttle like a free hop on hop off deal? I've never seen it so I am curious.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

You don't have to be guests to use it. They'll shuttle anybody around, although I imagine there isn't much demand by non resort guests because they all presumably have cars. It's free.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

Amazing, and cool.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KaMilo Mauna Lani villas

We had a group of 10 stay at KaMilo last summer. First, let me just say you've picked a great place to stay. With small kids, I think you'd be much better off just driving to the beach rather than depending on a shuttle schedule. That way you can come and go on your schedule. We had our kids and grandkids with us and spent most of our time at Makaiwa since it had great facilities and the ocean there was calm enough even for our youngest.

Reply to: KaMilo Mauna Lani villas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast