We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani Golf Villas to Honokaope

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
730 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mauna Lani Golf Villas to Honokaope

Can one walk directly from the Golf Villas to Honokaope Pl. (without having to walk out to S Kaniku Dr.)? Looks like there might be a way to cut across between a green and tee box on the golf course, but it's not clear. We're thinking about changing it up on our next visit and making Honokaope our go-to snorkeling beach. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,717 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Lani Golf Villas to Honokaope

Yeah, there's a path between the public access lot and the condos across the lava and then across a couple of fairways. The best way to figure it out is to drive to Honokaope and then from the lot, instead of going toward the beach, go the other way, up the short lava embankment behind the tennis court, where you'll find yourself looking directly at the Golf Villas and then just following the path from there.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
730 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Lani Golf Villas to Honokaope

Thanks, Shea, it's good to know we can make that walk without possibly bothering folks with homes along Honokaope Place. We'll be traveling with another couple, and the Point and Terrace are beyond their budget, so our other option is a return to Palm Villas, which we know and like. But the Golf Villas appear to have very similar floor plans (same developer maybe?), pool, and fitness facility, and the more I think about it, Honokaope is gaining in appeal. It'd also be nice to have that off-highway connection to Waikoloa. Would welcome any thoughts that might tip the scale one way or the other.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,717 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Lani Golf Villas to Honokaope

Yeah, I can see that. One downside I see is that Makaiwa has the chairs and restaurant/bar whereas Honokaope doesn't have any of that, so you'll have to schlep a cooler and chairs on that walk which isn't all that difficult, but isn't nearly as easy as the Palm Villas walk, so there's that ...

I like the Golf Villas, but I find the Palm Villas a lot more convenient as you can easily walk both to Makaiwa as well as the hotel and their respective bars/restaurants, and there are more ocean entry points easily accessible from the Palm Villas, like the lagoon right in front of the Terrace, which I enjoy, as well as Makaiwa and a little bit further Iliilinaehehe... Your only option from the Golf Villas that's a somewhat reasonable walk is Honokaope. Also time of year matters, Honokaope can be unswimmable in fall, winter, and early spring, whereas Makaiwa as well as the lagoon areas of Nanuku Inlet can still be swimmable even with winter swells.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
730 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Lani Golf Villas to Honokaope

Thanks again, Shea, that helps a lot considering the time of year we're planning to go. Would be a bummer if we stayed in a Golf Villas unit primarily for its proximity to Honokaope, and swimming/snorkeling conditions were lousy the entire time. There ARE some nicely furnished units there though. Maybe I shouldn't have shown them to my wife. ;-)

Reply to: Mauna Lani Golf Villas to Honokaope
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast