We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea

Tokyo, Japan
3 posts
Save Topic
Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea

We plan to travel to the Big Island in the end of Oct. We have booked three nights at Four seasons and would like try gorgeous condo for another three nights in kohala coast. (I would like to cook very simple dinner or buying some food to dine at the condo since my son is still small and don't wanna eat outside for every meal) What I have read from the forum and narrow down my list to Mauna Lani Terrace C102 (renovated $400/night) and Kolea (Unit 9 second floor/$300 per night)My son is five years old and we are not a very acative family. We like layback vacation mode. We might spend time at the pool and easy walking to beach, having some cocktail.

Any recommeandations are appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea

These are two very different complexes in very different resort areas. The Terrace is a small, quiet complex set around ancient fishponds, with a barely used calm ocean lagoon in front, and the lovely (and usually calm) snorkel beach, Makaiwa, a few hundred yards away. The Mauna Lani in general is low key, not very densely developed, and retains a lot of unique historic and cultural features. Within the resort are several beach areas, two small, mid-luxury hotels, and a small shopping center with a good grocery store. There are several good restaurants, many locally owned, within the resort, and there's a free resort shuttle.

The Terrace is one of the oldest complexes on the South Kohala Coast but it was built to a high standard with extensive Koa wood and good soundproofing. The lanais aren't terribly big nor private. There are two small but nice pools, one designated for families, that rarely have anyone in them, and a very nice community grilling/outdoor kitchen area by the pools. If you're staying in buildings A, H, or J, you're mere steps away from those as well as very close to the ocean, which is nice, and a short walk to the locally owned bar and restaurant Napua which sits on Makaiwa Bay and offers local music many nights and sometimes hula. But as noted, the complex is small and none of the units are far from anything. Building C is on the main lagoon. You won't have much in the way of ocean view there I don't think, especially being on the bottom unit, and it does look across the lagoon at the other buildings, but being right on the water is nice.

Kolea was built about ten years ago and are extremely high end with outdoor kitchens on the lanais. The pools are more extensive and have more features. It is a much larger complex in the Waikoloa Beach resort area which overall has a busier and more developed feel than the Mauna Lani, but I wouldn't consider it overly so - nothing like Waikiki or even Kailua Kona. There is one beach within this resort, Anaeho'omalu. It's never been a great beach and it lost a lot of sand in the tsunami. It is nice for sunsets, has lots of palm trees, shade, and turtles, plus a beach activities shack and good tide pool and lagoon areas for small children. The resort has two outdoor shopping malls with lots of shops, a variety of restaurants (mostly chains), and a grocery, and a lively bar and restaurant in Anaeho'omalu, Lava Lava Beach Club, with nightly music.

So that's kind of the lay of the land. I prefer the Mauna Lani - by a lot - and the Terrace is probably my favorite condo complex on the island, in fact we've staycationed there twice this year with family and are going back in October. But Kolea is certainly a gorgeous option, there will be more families around there. Both complexes offer a lot for a five year old, to run and play on the grassy areas around the complexes, explore tide pools, and in the case of the Terrace, explore the fishponds which are full of eels and other fun things.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea

What a great summary from Shea. :)

You can cook meals, enjoy the pools, have cocktails, and so forth at either complex. You didn't say whether you plan to play in the ocean water with your son. The lagoon by the Terrace is much nicer for that. Both complexes are next to a hotel with a bar, if you want to be served drinks. The Mauna Lani pool bar by the Terrace and the Napua bar on the south side are nice ambience. The Marriott bar is far from the water and I don't think much of it.

You can easily visit the shops and restaurants of the other resort with a five minute drive. I think if you like busy with quite a few people you might prefer Waikoloa (Kolea), but if you like more nature and serenity then Mauna Lani.

Tokyo, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea

Thank you so much Shea, that really is a great summary between these two complexes. I will go for Mauna Lani Terrace. However, Some units in ML looks old and some are renovated. Do you usually book from vrbo ot southkohala? or any unit you would recommend?

@Kamaauna: Thank you for the useful info about the pool bar. Yes, we plan to play water with my 5 years old.

Edited: 02 September 2017, 11:50
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea

Yes, you really should try to get a fairly recently renovated unit. It's quite easy to tell if one is or not with decent photos, so either vrbo or South Kohala or another management company is fine.

Tokyo, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea

Thank you shea

Reply to: Mauna Lani Terrace VS Kolea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast