We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Big Island and base question

Minnesota
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to Big Island and base question

Aloha!

I’m a newbie to the Big Island. However, not to Hawaii. My hubby and I have been to the other islands 6 times as we love Hawaii.

We decided when we come back to Hawaii, we would try the Big Island. Perhaps we are saving the best for last? :)

Every island has something whether its history or beauty, each island is unique!

Ok, here are my deets. I’m looking to find a good base for a 2 week vaca Nov 19- early Dec. on the Big Island. Spending just 2-3 nights in Hilo. The remainder will be spent @ a condo on Kohala Coast. And flying out of Koa. Does this sound logical?

I want a 2 bedroom (1 king bed as hubby is 6 ft 5 & 1 queen is suffice) & 2 bathrooms with a $225 nightly budget. Thoughts on either of these please?

Waikoloa Beach Villas B3

I found this one on trip advisor but why can't I find it on vrbo? Does anybody book condos off of trip advisor forum instead of vrbo? Hmm I'm having trouble with vrbo searches for some reason. A lot of searches bring up nothing. Granted over Thanksgiving holidays are filled maybe.

How do I know if it’s a legal rental?

Thanks in advance.

I’m also contemplating this one...

Mauna Lani Kulalani 2405. Ok, another weird thing, this condo is $500 some dollars higher on vrbo than it shows on tripadvisor. Doesn’t make sense to me for the same dates. Hmmm...

If somebody can offer me their 2 cents on either of the above I would appreciate it!

Or if you have something better for me, please post a few condos that have 1 king, 1 queen , 2 bathrooms with a $225 night budget I’d certainly appreciate it. Those added fees surely add up.

We are traveling with another couple to introduce them to Hawaii as they have never been ever and I want to make sure I pick a good location or else I will hear about it! LOL

I want to be near a beach for snorkeling & hope the condo has equipment for us, someplace where we can go out for walks in early morning or evening, go out to dinner walking around beautiful grounds, maybe near a shopping area so the guys can grab a cold one sitting down somewheres while we shop! Someplace close that we can grab some groceries to take on a picnic when we are on roadtrips & of course stock the fridge too! I know we will be spending a lot of time driving around exploring the island but we also like to chillax some too, hence seeing some things by foot as well. My husband is a huge history fan.

Thanks! Sparky

Edited: 11 September 2017, 20:54
12 replies to this topic
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

VRBO has a lot of added fees for both owners and renters. That's why a condo is more expensive booking from that site. I've noticed that vrbo's inventory on the Kohala Coast has gone down since the fees were introduced last year.

Any condo within Waikoloa B each Resort or Mauna Lani should be legal.

Thanksgiving is very popular and most people book 6 months or more in advance. The inventory is 83% booked up over Thanksgiving on vrbo. Make sure you book your rental car asap as cars do sell out on the island.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

Thank you, but which site should I be booking the condo then, one that doesn't include the hefty fees please?

FYI,

The reason being late to book is hurricane Irma just did a number on our already booked Caribbean vacation, The entire area of St. Martin has devastation due to the hurricane. Our hotel just posted all vacations for remaining of year have been cancelled. :( Hence me looking for a plan B on the fly.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

The booking website is not going to impact the quality of your vacation. If you can find what you want for cheaper on tripadvisor, go for it.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,717 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

Yes, the plan to split between Hilo and the Kohala Coast as you outline is a good plan.

No legality problems with Waikoloa Beach or Mauna Lani. I have a preference for the Mauna Lani. Better snorkeling, less dense development, more Hawaiiana and peaceful. But either are good choices in terms of general location.

I agree with boulders, it doesn't matter what booking site you use if you found a condo you like. You can also look at South Kohala management or Kohala Coast vacation rentals. Outrigger also manages some condos including Palm Villas at the Mauna Lani, which is an excellent complex.

https:/…kohala-coast-condominium-collection

Minnesota
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

Thanks again boulders, appreciate your feedback.

And SheaG, thanks for the info and links, ok girl you rock! :) Very much appreciated and good to know. I'm familiar with outrigger hotel, my first stay in Hawaii was with outrigger actually! Guess I can always rock, paper, scissor it for the win! :)

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,693 posts
2,909 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

sparkyflowerchild:

You certainly are not a newbie to Hawaii, or the TA.

You are asking and receiving the right information.

We have greatly our several visits to BI, and know that you will as well.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

I can't help with which condos have a king, more of a matter of checking the listings. There are condos that were built with two master suites rather than one master and s plain Jane second bedroom. Given that you are two couples rather than parents with kids, you may want to keep an eye out for that layout.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

I don't know if this is available your dates, but this Kulalani townhome has the two master suites, with privacy separation, one up and one down, and both have king beds.

https://vacationinkona.com/mlr/kulalani-101/

It's slightly over your price range, but it's still a very good price for two couples, given that your price range would be typical of what one couple would pay.

This is not the only Kulalani with this layout, I'm sure. It's one that came up using a search.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

Here is a Palm Villas condo with two master suites, and one of them has a king bed, the other a queen. Looks like the price is lower.

https://www.vrbo.com/297915

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

The Fairways at Mauna Lani have a master suite with king and a guest bedroom with queen. The guest bathroom appears to be all right (never as Lise as a "master" bath and at least has a direct entry to the bedroom, and the price is in your range.

www.southkohala.com/fairways-mauna-lani…

Reply to: Newbie to Big Island and base question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast