We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Big Island and base question

Minnesota
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to Big Island and base question

Aloha!

I’m a newbie to the Big Island. However, not to Hawaii. My hubby and I have been to the other islands 6 times as we love Hawaii.

We decided when we come back to Hawaii, we would try the Big Island. Perhaps we are saving the best for last? :)

Every island has something whether its history or beauty, each island is unique!

Ok, here are my deets. I’m looking to find a good base for a 2 week vaca Nov 19- early Dec. on the Big Island. Spending just 2-3 nights in Hilo. The remainder will be spent @ a condo on Kohala Coast. And flying out of Koa. Does this sound logical?

I want a 2 bedroom (1 king bed as hubby is 6 ft 5 & 1 queen is suffice) & 2 bathrooms with a $225 nightly budget. Thoughts on either of these please?

Waikoloa Beach Villas B3

I found this one on trip advisor but why can't I find it on vrbo? Does anybody book condos off of trip advisor forum instead of vrbo? Hmm I'm having trouble with vrbo searches for some reason. A lot of searches bring up nothing. Granted over Thanksgiving holidays are filled maybe.

How do I know if it’s a legal rental?

Thanks in advance.

I’m also contemplating this one...

Mauna Lani Kulalani 2405. Ok, another weird thing, this condo is $500 some dollars higher on vrbo than it shows on tripadvisor. Doesn’t make sense to me for the same dates. Hmmm...

If somebody can offer me their 2 cents on either of the above I would appreciate it!

Or if you have something better for me, please post a few condos that have 1 king, 1 queen , 2 bathrooms with a $225 night budget I’d certainly appreciate it. Those added fees surely add up.

We are traveling with another couple to introduce them to Hawaii as they have never been ever and I want to make sure I pick a good location or else I will hear about it! LOL

I want to be near a beach for snorkeling & hope the condo has equipment for us, someplace where we can go out for walks in early morning or evening, go out to dinner walking around beautiful grounds, maybe near a shopping area so the guys can grab a cold one sitting down somewheres while we shop! Someplace close that we can grab some groceries to take on a picnic when we are on roadtrips & of course stock the fridge too! I know we will be spending a lot of time driving around exploring the island but we also like to chillax some too, hence seeing some things by foot as well. My husband is a huge history fan.

Thanks! Sparky

Edited: 11 September 2017, 20:54
12 replies to this topic
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

We stayed in this condo https://www.vrbo.com/379503 in October 2015 and it is available Nov 19th till the 26th. I highly recommend it. Surprised it isn't rented already. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Newbie to Big Island and base question

I stayed in Kulalani 2405 in July and loved the property, location, and home itself. I booked through Resortica Hawaii and can see from their calendar that it's not entirely available over your dates, though. And really, it's more space than you need.

This Shores unit (Waikoloa Beach Resort) shows a pretty wide open calendar. Looks fantastic, and I know from checking out the Shores that those huge lanais are an added bonus.

resorticahawaii.com/vacation-rental-home.asp…

One way or another, I'd make reservations asap given that your trip encompasses Thanksgiving.

~ Colleen

Reply to: Newbie to Big Island and base question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast