We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy Hour?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Happy Hour?

Hi,

My husband and I are big happy hour people. We enjoy sharing small plates etc. What are the best Happy Hours on the Kohala Coast?

Thank you!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
1,202 reviews
1. Re: Happy Hour?

Tropics Ale House, Lava Lava Beach Club, and Sensei all in the Waikoloa Beach Resorts area of the Kohala Coast.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,164 posts
2. Re: Happy Hour?

There's a good Top Question on the right hand side of the main Island of Hawaii forum on inexpensive/affordable eats that also covers happy hours.

The best ones IMO are Pueo's (Waikoloa Village), Tommy Bahamas (Mauna Lani), and Mai Grille (Waikoloa Beach).

Edited: 16 October 2017, 03:44
CA
Level Contributor
406 posts
1 review
3. Re: Happy Hour?

Another vote for Tropics Ale House and Lava Lava Beach Club, two of our favorites.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,813 posts
312 reviews
4. Re: Happy Hour?

Think about what you want from your "happy hour." Is it more abour snagging discount drinks and food or the ocean and sunset view? Me, I can snag stuff anywhere, but not hope for a green flash whilst watching the waves and birds in many places.

Consider your options accordingly.

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,507 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Happy Hour?

Great point from Honu.

I’ve generally been disappointed in the types of food offerings at Happy Hours here, in terms of getting a form of dinner with mixed small plates. Usually it’s fatty, high carb snack food like fries or similar, which is OK for a snack with a drink, but you’d start to miss the nutrition if you ate that for dinner much. I’ve generally found the only value is for drinks, and only if you want basic beer wine and well liquor of course. Resort prices are steep for cocktails, and a discount is welcome, especially around sunset.

Pueo’s is different, as it’s more small plates of real food, but I did find the time I tried it that the dishes were not what I would have ordered there, and you have to sit at the bar, which may or may not be what suits you.

So all in all I would have low expectations of HH as dinner.

Sansei’s (not Sensei) is not a happy hour per se; it’s an Early Bird discount. If you can bear the line and the crowd and the rushed ordering, the discount on sushi dishes is substantial.

6. Re: Happy Hour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2018, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast