We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to know best area of big island to vacation

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Would like to know best area of big island to vacation

My husband and I would like to go the Big Island, I did put the map up of the island but we are really ignorant on what coast to stay on. I picked Kohala Coast on the subject because the Hilton is located there and I thought it might be the place to stay. We are active seniors, we want a beach front location, which area has the best beaches?

Hotels on the big island seem to be expensive, is there any recommendations for VRBO that someone could suggest, or at least the location to stay. Has anyone stayed at Kona Reef? What timeshares are best?

I would appreciate any information. hank you.

13 replies to this topic
Dana Point...
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Would like to know best area of big island to vacation

OK, thank you all for your input, have been to Maui, I was just told the big island had much more to do so I will choose accordingly.

florida
Level Contributor
334 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Would like to know best area of big island to vacation

I could have written this post myself!!! LOL My husband and I ( early 60's) are headed to the BI in October, and I'm just clueless, and can't seem to get a handle on this Island for some reason, even after continual reading. We've visited Maui and Kauai, traveled all over the World;BI has me stumped, so I'll be following your responses and plans.

Bondgirl

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Would like to know best area of big island to vacation

This topic is almost a year old.

It's really not all that complicated to figure out where to stay on the Big Island. There is only one beach district with beachfront resorts and condos, the Kohala Coast. Then there's Kailua Kona town. Choosing between these two areas is covered exhaustively in the TQs on the right hand side of the main island of Hawaii forum.

It's also generally recommended to stay a night or two on the east side in either Hilo or Volcano. Also covered in the TQs.

Reply to: Would like to know best area of big island to vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast