We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

Flower Mound
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

We will be visiting Victoria for a week from the 6th of March until the 14th. Planning on driving the GOR, but would prefer to not make lodging reservations. Is it reasonable to expect lodging to be available that time of year? We would much prefer to be able to stop when we feel like it, and not have to stay the night at a pre-planned location. We know we will visit the major sights along the way, but we also would like to explore inland, if the urge comes over us!

Thanks.

PS, any recommended diving sites for a day dive along the route?

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
6 replies to this topic
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

Book ahead.

This includes a long weekend and I think that there are a couple of events on. The Port Fairy Folk Festival will affect the Warrnambool area a little too.

Cheers.

UF

Mentioned in this post
Port Fairy
Port Fairy
Victoria, Australia
Warrnambool
Warrnambool
Victoria, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

I agree with UF anywhere along the GOR will be busy on the labour day weekend you are best to pre book accommodation. For a loop of the GOR from Melbourne you need at least two overnight stops.

I’m not sure about dive sites along the GOR however there are a couple of companies that operate out of Queenscliff and Sorrento that will take you out to dive sites in Port Phillip bay.

This link has comprehensive info on the GOR www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au

Edited: 28 February 2018, 04:34
Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sorrento
Sorrento
Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Flower Mound
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

Thanks! Took your advice and made reservations....

So, do you have any "secret spots" along the route that may be worth a look, other than the major attractions that are on everyone's list???

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

Are you spending the customary 1 night at Apollo Bay, 1 night at Port Campbell/Warrnambool, or have you allowed extra time? No point telling you some of my secret places if you don't have enough time.

One I will tell you about - when you go to Loch Ard Gorge, go to the western carpark as well and have a look at the Thunder Cave and wander down onto the beach at the mouth of the Sherbrooke River.

Mentioned in this post
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Port Campbell
Port Campbell
Victoria, Australia
Warrnambool
Warrnambool
Victoria, Australia
Loch Ard Gorge
Loch Ard Gorge
747 Reviews
Port Campbell, Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

This is where it comes in handy to spend a couple of nights at either Apollo Bay or Lorne to really explore the Otway's. Lake Elizabeth is one gem near Forrest which is not far from Apollo Bay. Lake Elizabeth also features in the art work on chocolates available at the Great Ocean Road Chocolaterie at Bellbrae on the GOR www.gorci.com.au

…vic.gov.au/explore/…lake-elizabeth

But if you want to do something really different and have a couple of hours to spare take the Benwerrin Mount Sabine road which skirts the Otway's roughly between Lorne and Apollo Bay. Although the road is gravel it is solid. We did this trip in October following heavy rain in our SUV and felt that with care it could have been easily done in a 2WD. While the road itself has a 100kph speed limit in parts we had the road to ourselves except for some mountain bike riders and just loafed along at 50kph and were glad we did as we came across at least 15-20 kangaroos and wallabies which meant we were able to slow down and avoid them. If you have a couple of hours to spare its a very pretty drive and well worth doing.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Lorne+VIC/Benwerrin-mt+Sabine+Road,+Victoria/Apollo+Bay+VIC/@-38.6141043,143.6708334,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad365310b0c1765:0x40579a430a0c860!2m2!1d143.9715484!2d-38.5366556!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad3694d32f45ac5:0xb2b9a108f2573e60!2m2!1d143.8352747!2d-38.554568!1m5!1m1!1s0x6ad339e22a183791:0x40579a430a0bf20!2m2!1d143.65!2d-38.75!3e0

Mentioned in this post
Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,134 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?

Definitely the right decision to book ahead as others noted there are some events on and it will be busy over the long weekend. But not only that, many caravan parks and other accommodation options are not staffed until in to the evening, so you would not be able to stay even if they had vacant rooms. Booking ahead ensures they would leave a key out for you if you plan to arrive late.

Reply to: Driving the GOR...Book lodging ahead, or as I go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted